How To Connect From Sink To Cut-off Pipe - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how to connect from sink to cut-off pipe

I posted this as a reply to another thread, but I'm not sure if all see that so I'm posting a new thread.

I have a copper drain pipe stub for the sink sticking out of the wall, no threads. I'm replacing a bathroom vanity. I removed the vanity. I could not un-swett the p-trap, so I sawed it off with reciprocating saw, leaving the unthreaded 3.5 inch long stub. I believe it is copper.

I called a plumber who said the job is a quick job to get threads on the stub to which I could connect from my new sink/p trap. I think that if is so quick, I should be able to DIY to save the cost.

I talked to another DIY guy at work who described what looks like a 3-part compression adapter I could use. He said I could get it at Home Depot. I'd put one end over the stub end, then there's an inverted piece next, and finally the third part that screws into part one, compressing that part 2 and creating the seal. I've also seen of course the Fernco solution.

Another solution I've read about is the Fernco one.

Pipes will not be visible - they will be behind vanity doors.
I live in Massachusetts.

What solution is recommended? Are all these solutions code-compliant in Mass. ?

If Fernco is ok, how do I size it. When I look at Ferncos at my hardware store or Home Depot, how come the diameters don't match at all the real world measurements. The o.d. of my stub is 1 5/8 o.d.. The Ferncos I find for say 1 1/2 inch are over 2 inches in diameter when I measure them. What's up with that? And how do I size the Fernco to fit a 1 5/8 inch o.d. stub?
Thanks very much.
Joe

Advertisement

jbcampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

how to connect from sink to cut-off pipe

you may need to go to a plumbing supply house to find the fernco you need, the fernco you explain sounds like pvc to pvc (pvc has thicker walls, so larger O.D.) look for 1 1/2" copper x 1 1/2" pvc

I dont know the code where you live, you can call the city and ask a plumbing inspector

Advertisement

Ltnicks is offline   Reply With Quote