Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #1

Share |

How to clean years of accumulated gunk from kitchen sink piping

The PVC drain line from our kitchen sink was clogged but we managed to use a plunger to clear the clog and now it drains well. However the problem is sure to return and I need another solution.

The 2 inch PVC drain line from the bottom of the kitchen sink trap runs horizontally with a slight decline about 30 feet to the 4 inch main sewer line which connects to the septic tank. When I removed a clean-out at the end of the 30 foot run and watched water from the kitchen sink pass through the 2 inch pipe and flow into the 4 inch main line, I noticed masses of "gunk" flow out of the 2 inch line. This is material that must have built up in the pipe over the years. After a few minutes, there were no more masses of "gunk" but the water running out of the 2 inch line was grey in color and was not running clear. I am guessing that the walls of the 2 inch line have accumulated "gunk" on them and that accounts for the grey color.

How do I clean the inside walls of the 30 feet of 2 inch PVC line so that the line does not clog again? Home brew cleaner? Chemical cleaner (that is friendly to my septic tank)? Call a professional plumber with a professional snake to clean out the line?

Thank you.

goshenplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshenplumber View Post
The PVC drain line from our kitchen sink was clogged but we managed to use a plunger to clear the clog and now it drains well. However the problem is sure to return and I need another solution.

The 2 inch PVC drain line from the bottom of the kitchen sink trap runs horizontally with a slight decline about 30 feet to the 4 inch main sewer line which connects to the septic tank. When I removed a clean-out at the end of the 30 foot run and watched water from the kitchen sink pass through the 2 inch pipe and flow into the 4 inch main line, I noticed masses of "gunk" flow out of the 2 inch line. This is material that must have built up in the pipe over the years. After a few minutes, there were no more masses of "gunk" but the water running out of the 2 inch line was grey in color and was not running clear. I am guessing that the walls of the 2 inch line have accumulated "gunk" on them and that accounts for the grey color.

How do I clean the inside walls of the 30 feet of 2 inch PVC line so that the line does not clog again? Home brew cleaner? Chemical cleaner (that is friendly to my septic tank)? Call a professional plumber with a professional snake to clean out the line?

Thank you.
It depends on where the gunk is at in the line. You might get a way with just a cheap snake at home-depot or lowes. I bought one for like 11 dollars couple years ago. Just turn and push. Pull her back in. Doesn't work time for professional. Or go rent a nicer one.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshenplumber View Post
How do I clean the inside walls of the 30 feet of 2 inch PVC line so that the line does not clog again?
You can't expect to achieve that.
Even if you are diligent about food waste and fats...

otoh... 30 feet of new PVC pipe (every 20 years?) isn't an awful expense.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Master Plumber

Traps ,waste arms, cable and regular enzyme treatment.. branch line jetting the line will blast it clean of all grease and build up. maintain with regular enzymes. recommend jetting only PVC lines only.. if you have older cast iron i would stay away from jetting.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Buy two (2) Rubber Fernco couplings, and a 50 foot electrical snake. Close to where the 2 ties into the 4 cut out a 12 inch or so section of 2 inch pipe. Run the electrical snake through your cleanout to where you cut out the section of 2 inch pipe. Bend a hook in the end of the electrical snake, and attach a rag to the hook. The rag should be a snug fit. Pull the snake back through. Repeat till the pipe is clean. You could use a bottle brush too. Clean the cut out section and chamfer all ends. Mark the cut out section to where 1/2 the fernco coupling will be on each pipe. Put dish detergent on one fernco and slide on pipe. then slide both into place centered on cuts and tighten bands.

If cutting of the pipe allows you to move it out of alignment, use one fernco.

Wear rubber gloves, long sleeves, and safety glasses. Dont use chemicals.

This will allow you to clean the pipe any time you want.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote