How To Change A Shower Handle - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how to change a shower handle

if anyone knows how to remove a shower panel in one of those shower/tube combination's please let me know.... one plumber said i could cut threw the wall in the bedroom room behind it ... but i want to no is there any other way? can i take off the shower in the bathroom without causing too much damage?

Advertisement

umichael14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

umichael14--We are here to help with these type situations for DIY/homeowners/renters, but there are some things that make it so much easier to help you! Pictures are the #1 item that will help, better descriptions of the problem help also. NOW, that said--YOU asked about changing a "shower handle", in your post you seem to be asking about changing the tub/shower valve assembly behind the wall/panel. IF you are wanting to change the valve assembly and there is one of those "plastic" panels on this wall, you may have a problem. IF this panel was placed properly, and the proper adhesive (shower panel adhesive) was used, it is very, no-extremely, difficult to remove the panel without breaking it. I do not know of any store that will sell just one panel, although some sell sheets of material which will make good panels. The plumber sounds correct on this one-removing part of the wall in the bedroom (provided that it is drywall) will be the best approach to this problem. I'm choosing my words carefully here: This approach is not for what I call a novice DIY person. The valve assembly could be installed with screw pipe, copper pipe, PEX tubing, or who knows what. Having the knowledge and proper tools to do this job from that side is critical, let alone the drywall repair. This sounds like a case where the plumber is your best bet. Good Luck, David

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

thanks you are right i want to replace the valve assembly looking threw the shower panel it looks like the pipes are what you called "screw pipes" is there any special tools or anything that is needed to replace or remove those type of pipes from the valve assembly?
umichael14 is offline   Reply With Quote