Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #1

Share |

How can I boost the pressure?

I'm turning to this forum for the first time to try to get some help.

I just purchased a new home in a medium sized Pennsylvania town. The home is near the top of the hillside that the town is built on. The water pressure in the entire home seems low. Water is supplied by the town and not by a private well. The copper pipe coming from the curbstop is 1 1/4" so, I think there's plenty of volume. Is it possible to somehow boost the pressure? I assume the reason it's low is because of our elevation compared to the rest of the town.

jonk32000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #2

how are the other home owners around you....knock on some doors and greet them with a Merry Christmas and ask them "how's your water pressure"?1-1/4" is great volume but the pressure would be better with a 3/4" line coming in then dropping to 5/8"...then even better pressure to the fixtures within the house.see what your neighbors have,and the water company can put a simple guage on the outside spigot to check your pressure to the others....simple thing like a tree root across the incoming line over the years can pinch a copper pipe

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #3

Does each and every fixture in the home have low pressure? How about the sillcocks outside? Laundry? Tub diverter spouts? If you have a means of checking pressure right where the waterline feeds into your house how is the pressure there?

If sinks and showers are the main culprits, you might take a hard look at the aerators and/or showerheads. Pull them off and turn on the fixtures and see if there's improvement. They can get filled with gunk.

Old pipes also can become calcified and thereby constricted. I've had pipes in my home that you could not see any light through after cutting them out...After replacing them the flow dramatically increased.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

The water pressure you get from your local municipality cannot be increased without a booster pump. Contrary to popular belief a smaller waterline WILL NOT increase your pressure but only decrease your volume. Your 1-1/4" waterline is great!

Get yourself a gauge to check your water pressure. They sell these at the red apron as well as the orange apron stores. Check your pressure so you know for sure just what you have. Anywhere between 50 and 70psi is good (I keep my own set at 65psi). If your pressure is below 50psi check for a pressure reducing valve on your waterline coming into the house (pic attached). You'll most likely have one of these if the local municipality's pressure is above 80psi. You can increase/decrease your pressure within the PRVs parameters by turning the bolt. If the pressure is below 50psi and you dont have a PRV then....well now we're talking a whole new can of worms.

Additionally, do exactly what thekctermite suggested and check out your aerators and showerheads, etc. Often a decrease in flow can be mistaken for decreased pressure.

Good luck!
Attached Images

JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC View Post
Get yourself a gauge to check your water pressure. They sell these at the red apron as well as the orange apron stores. Check your pressure so you know for sure just what you have. Anywhere between 50 and 70psi is good (I keep my own set at 65psi).
Prolly the easiest way to do that is to connect the pressure gauge to a female hose adapter and connect it to either your laundry room sink faucet or the drain valve on your water heater, both of which will have a male garden hose thread to connect to.

(There is always the risk of the hot water heater's drain valve leaking after you open it. If that happens, just plumb a second valve in series with the heater's drain valve, and close the new valve to stop the dripping. Best use the laundry room sink to avoid potential problems like that.)
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #6

I agree that there may be a PRV in your line but, how far is your house from the meter? Sounds like you may have a long run from a meter box to your house. I am guessing this since you have 1-1/4" supply line. The longer the run, the lower the pressure will be.