Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #1

Share |

How to Build a laundry/mudroom

We have a laundry room in the kitchen but it takes up a lot space. We want to knock down the walls so we can put the refrigerator over so it's part of the kitchen and have a dining area. There is an area by the back door that is covered but the floor is basically just white rock that is continued from the driveway. It's built like a car port but smaller, about 8 x 10. The ceiling is slanted from 10 ft at the house to 6'4 and the clearance all the way around is about 6'4 (which is another question about finding and hanging a short screen door)

How can I build that area into a mudroom/ laundry room?

I know I need to install a floor. I'd like the cheapest way (either wood or concrete slab) I didn't know if I need to do anything special with the wood. You can't just build a subfloor on rock can you? Would the wood rot?

I can figure out how to frame the walls but the door being so low I'm not sure how to do a header or if need one. If just a rough opening will work I'd be fine.

Now to the hard part, the water. The wall we are using has a sink and dishwasher right on the other side, I was wondering if we could use any of those hook ups and water supply. Would that work for the drain or no? One of our friends does this stuff for living so hiring work wouldn't be an issue.
Brock_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #2

How to Build a laundry/mudroom

Sewer for new washer install has to be 2" min with a 2" trap and a vent also i would pull new lines for water cause if your doing laundry and running the sink and dishwasher is going youll notice a pressure drop.

Last edited by Peppe1019; 08-26-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Peppe1019 is offline   Reply With Quote