Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

How best to re-plumb my bath?

My 'big picture' involves making the ensuite bath a tad larger by stealing room from the adjacent main bath. In the process we will also enlarge a bedroom closet.

The first project will be taking care of the main bath, while maintaining use of the existing ensuite shower, etc. until the main bath build is finished.

The old monster jacuzzi tub has been torn out and a new soaker tub is to be installed about 5' further away against an exterior wall. The toilet is moving 18" further into the room (along its same joist) to make way for the new tub. What I want to know is the best way of tapping into the existing plumbing stack (where current shower is and the previous jacuzzi used to be plumbed into) -- see pic.

To maintain the existing shower (but to prepare for its move in the next project phase), what I propose is to get rid of all those multiple joints by cutting everything out from just below the current shower tee and down to the 2" lateral going to the main sewer line. Then connect the new tub drain (Canadian Code seems to ok up to 8' trap arm for a 2" drain) to the remaining lateral using a new tee, and another new tee with a stub out (capped) for the future shower drain (about 4' away from the vent stack). As you may see these new connections will now be down about 2.5 feet from the original connections that were up near the floor joists. I would then reconnect the lateral with the vent with new AB, and add a wye at the end with a cleanout.

Later, in the next phase I plan to go back and cut off the old shower drain trap at its old tee and just cap it.

So in essence, the whole stack from the new lateral tee's on up would just be an extension of the existing vent.

Do you think this is a workable plan, or perhaps suggest a better config?

proposed..
Attached Thumbnails
How best to re-plumb my bath?-plumbing001.jpg  

Daler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,000

Is your vent on wrong side of fixtures or is it just me,how far is a fixture allowed before reventing in Canada?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
Is your vent on wrong side of fixtures or is it just me,how far is a fixture allowed before reventing in Canada?
Not sure I understand your question -- there are no fixtures above the stack in the photo. It only services the current shower stall and former tub (the photo also shows the remnants of the former tub trap arm). Fyi, the house is a rancher on a crawlspace. Seems local code supports a run of up to 8 feet for 2" trap arm.

Isn't the idea of a vent so as to provide replacement air for the fixture when it drains? Will the setup in the photo not properly provide that?

As I tried to show in the photo the stack continues through the subfloor as a vent ONLY up through the shower stall wall. I think it is only there to satisfy the current shower and former Jacuzzi tub, which is connected just below the floor. So, the Jacuzzi tub (that has just been ripped out) was added to the stack below the shower trap arm.

Hmm, can I do this in order to satisfy the new reno of a moved shower and new tub? -- cut everything out from the floor joist down to the bottom lateral (will lose the existing shower). Replace all that with a straight section of ABS. Then cut in a tee for the new tub -- now it's vented I think (again through the floor).

Next, cut in another tee for the new shower trap arm connection AND another tee on that shower trap arm to revent it back to the vent pipe now above the new tub tee but just below the floor, like in this sketch. This will be similar to the existing config in the photo, only cleaner looking.

In the long and the short of it all, I want to provide new plumbing for the new tub and a stub-out for the future shower move WHILE maintaining the current shower AND also trying to utilize the current local plumbing stack
Attached Thumbnails
How best to re-plumb my bath?-plumbing002.jpg  

Last edited by Daler; 01-31-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Your 2nd picture makes more sense to me anyway the way its drawn.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 502

Maybe run it by the inspector in your area, but I think maybe the revent can only hook to the main stack vent above the flood plain of the bathroom it is venting.

B
Beepster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
Maybe run it by the inspector in your area, but I think maybe the revent can only hook to the main stack vent above the flood plain of the bathroom it is venting.

B

Agreed. My understanding is the vent cannot be tied in at that location. Must be above flood rim.
psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post

B
Probably a good idea as it seems the rule in the US, but in Canada?

I'm normally an avid DIYer. And it's mainly for this reason: it's always been a local 'good old boys' song around here ..local inspectors are skittish about providing advice and seem to only direct homeowners to qualified contractors. Hense, my workaround attempt to avoid opening that can of worms.

But in the end I still want it all to work properly, so I think we may be on the right track
Old 02-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by psilva8 View Post
Agreed. My understanding is the vent cannot be tied in at that location. Must be above flood rim.
Thats an iso drawing,im thinking hisw vent is above fixtures its just way its drawn
Old 02-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummen View Post
Thats an iso drawing,im thinking hisw vent is above fixtures its just way its drawn
That is correct. My drawing reflects only my proposed changes. The photo in original post reflects current configuration -- vent is above shower/tub tie-ins. To reiterate, there are no other fixtures above the floor level ..just the shower ..and a former tub which are tied-in below the floor.