Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Share |
Default

How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"


Hello,

I am trying to add a sink drain and also a washer box. The black lines in the photo show existing infrastructure. I would like to install a sink and washer box. I am assuming I will need to cut into the 3 to 4" section with the cleanout and install some sort of T with a 2" out to the drain for the sink and washer. Where do I put the P trap or traps and also where is it best to vent? Does the vent go between the washer and sink? I also have a 2" pipe on the other side of the wall that could be accessed overhead for a vent. Could someone please help draw this out for me? Thank you!!!

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"-plumbing-needs.jpg  


Last edited by obriendigital; 03-25-2011 at 10:30 PM.
obriendigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
moderator
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,582
Default

How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"


Something like this should work assuming that is a vent on the right and not a drain stack. What is it venting?
All fixtures need traps and vents. In this case the traps share a common (wet) vent. A clean out is in the new vent stack.
Attached Thumbnails
How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"-plumbing-needs.jpg  

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:40 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Default

How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"


Great thanks. The 2" to the right is for a sink in the bathroom in the next room and drains down and the vent goes straight upstairs. It is accesible so could use as a vent. Do I need a p trap on it or just tie in overhead?

Also do I put a p trap the washer box to the left in this drawing? The sink will have one as it came with it. By code the washer box needs to be 42" high. Any other type of fittings on this? I was reading about wye and avv and such. Thanks so much!
obriendigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 601
Default

How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"


you can't use a drain from upstairs for a vent downstairs. to use that pipe you'll have to run your new pipe upstairs next to the existing drain and tie your vent in above the sink. what does the pipe you're cutting into do upstairs? is it a drain for something as well?

yep you'll need a trap on the washer box and the sink. some people on here will tell you to use an aav, but i believe if you're going thru all this work and opening up the wall you might as well do it right. some municipalities do not allow them also.
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Default

How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
you can't use a drain from upstairs for a vent downstairs. to use that pipe you'll have to run your new pipe upstairs next to the existing drain and tie your vent in above the sink. what does the pipe you're cutting into do upstairs? is it a drain for something as well?

yep you'll need a trap on the washer box and the sink. some people on here will tell you to use an aav, but i believe if you're going thru all this work and opening up the wall you might as well do it right. some municipalities do not allow them also.
Thanks for the reply. The 2" pipe is actually for a bathroom downstairs(on other side of wall) that drains into the system under the concrete. It then goes up stairs and is a vent, so I am assuming I can tie into this pipe as a vent?

My basement is partly unfinished, so I have the luxury of doing this all the right way.

With the amount of water coming from the washerbox, would it make sense to put the sink all the way to the right, ptrape, vent, then washer box, ptrap?

I just want to make sure there is no backflow into the sink.

Thanks,
Tim
obriendigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Default

How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Something like this should work assuming that is a vent on the right and not a drain stack. What is it venting?
All fixtures need traps and vents. In this case the traps share a common (wet) vent. A clean out is in the new vent stack.
I took a few photos to illustrate the project. I checked the 2" pipe further today and it is draining from a sink upstairs, so that won't work i guess for a vent? correct? this is the photo with the beer by it

I also have a photo of the new cleanout and T to put into the 4" to 3" stack. Is this ok? The 2" will run around the corner to the sink and washer.
The other photo is ultimately where I want the sink and washer.


Lastly, there are a couple photos of the stack towards the ceiling, it looks like the left part of the Y is the main vent, can I tie into that with a saddle to 2" then over my wall to work as a vent?
Attached Thumbnails
How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"-photo1.jpg   How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"-photo2p.jpg   How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"-3photo.jpg   How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"-4photo.jpg   How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"-5photo.jpg  

obriendigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 601
Default

How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"


Quote:
Originally Posted by obriendigital View Post
Thanks for the reply. The 2" pipe is actually for a bathroom downstairs(on other side of wall) that drains into the system under the concrete. It then goes up stairs and is a vent, so I am assuming I can tie into this pipe as a vent?

My basement is partly unfinished, so I have the luxury of doing this all the right way.

With the amount of water coming from the washerbox, would it make sense to put the sink all the way to the right, ptrape, vent, then washer box, ptrap?

I just want to make sure there is no backflow into the sink.

Thanks,
Tim
if that pipe is just a vent, you're in good shape. a 2" pipe is enough for a washer drain, sink placement won't matter. the way eplumber drew it allows the sink to wet vent, so only one vent pipe is needed. in my code, you have up to 5 feet for 2" and 3.5 feet for 1 1/2" away from that vent without having to run another vent (trap arm length) so be careful with the placement
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Default

How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Something like this should work assuming that is a vent on the right and not a drain stack. What is it venting?
All fixtures need traps and vents. In this case the traps share a common (wet) vent. A clean out is in the new vent stack.
I made some drawings on the photos if this helps.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"-plumbing3.jpg   How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"-plubming4.jpg   How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"-final-plumbing.jpg  
obriendigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Default

How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
if that pipe is just a vent, you're in good shape. a 2" pipe is enough for a washer drain, sink placement won't matter. the way eplumber drew it allows the sink to wet vent, so only one vent pipe is needed. in my code, you have up to 5 feet for 2" and 3.5 feet for 1 1/2" away from that vent without having to run another vent (trap arm length) so be careful with the placement
Thanks for the reply! Did you see my other post, the darn 2" is actually a drain for a sink upstairs, I was wrong. So do I go into the big 3" for the vent? I am confident it's the main house vent.
Attached Thumbnails
How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"-plumbingvent1.jpg  

Last edited by obriendigital; 03-26-2011 at 10:34 AM.
obriendigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
moderator
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,582
Default

How to add Utility Sink and Washer Drain to existing 4"


Quote:
Originally Posted by obriendigital View Post
Thanks for the reply! Did you see my other post, the darn 2" is actually a drain for a sink upstairs, I was wrong. So do I go into the big 3" for the vent? I am confident it's the main house vent.
I doubt the 3" is a vent. It probably is a drain for a toilet.

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can two washers drain into one utility sink? mcru Plumbing 6 07-26-2010 08:23 PM
After Snaking, Basement floor drain and utility sink still Bubbling & Backup bikermark1 Plumbing 2 07-22-2010 12:14 PM
Washer drain pipe and adding a utility sink lubyone1 Plumbing 5 07-09-2010 10:56 PM
How to drain a utility sink that is in basement? Mikey Palmice Plumbing 40 01-28-2008 09:11 PM
utility sink, washer drain simon Plumbing 4 11-14-2007 07:30 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.