Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #1

Share |

How to add a tee into a vertical pipe?

We need to connect the basement bathroom sink drainage(on the right of the picture) to a vertical pipe. It is a vent pipe that goes to the roof. We need to add a tee into that pipe. How should I cut and insert the tee? Your advise/help will be mostly appreciated.

Mechelle
Attached Thumbnails
How to add a tee into a vertical pipe?-vertical-pipe.jpg  
Mechelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #2

You actually need two tees if the line you are showing is going to be the drain from the sink. One is for drainage and the other is for a vent. Each fixture is required to have a vent. Click on the link below to see how this is done. Since I see pipe sticking out of the wall a couple feet to the right of the line, I can't tell if you are adding a tee for drainage or just a tee for the vent. If it is just a vent, you can use Fernco or No-hub couplings to install the tee since you won't be able to move the pipe enough to install the tee.

http://www.hometips.com/hyhw/plumbing/74drain.html
Old 09-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #3

Thank you, majakdragon.

I am adding a tee to the vent. I will get into the site of the link you provided. Yes, not be able to move the pipe enough to install the tee is the concern. I will see what the no-hum coupling stuff can do. Thank you again.

Mechelle
Old 09-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #4

Now, wait a minute.

You mentioned "each fixture is required to have a vent". Does that mean each fixture is required to have a seperate vent or they can share a vent? I am connecting the sink drain to the vent pipe that is the only drain available the builder rushed in in my basement. That would not cause any issue, would it?
Old 09-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechelle View Post
Now, wait a minute.

You mentioned "each fixture is required to have a vent". Does that mean each fixture is required to have a seperate vent or they can share a vent? I am connecting the sink drain to the vent pipe that is the only drain available the builder rushed in in my basement. That would not cause any issue, would it?
It would maybe make more sense to say, "each fixture has to be vented" instead. The future vent that your builder put in the ceiling as part of the basement bath group rough-in should be adequate, provided it all gets hooked up correctly. You don't need separate vents for each fixture...They'll all tie together.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #6

Thank you both, KC and Majak. I find from homedepot website that they carry the "fernco" tee. I will go get one.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #7

Presumably the rough in was set up to satisfy your local codes regarding venting. Depending on your local codes and the distance between the drain and the vent pipe you might need to run a vent pipe straight up (from where your drain line shows coming through the wall) to above the sink level and over to the current vent pipe as well as a drain line over to the same pipe.

I'm bothered by the cold water line entering so much lower than the hot water line. Are they both entering so close to the drain because it's a pedestal sink?
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Wow! There is quite a bit of difference between the hot and cold waterlines.

Quote:
We need to connect the basement bathroom sink drainage(on the right of the picture) to a vertical pipe. It is a vent pipe that goes to the roof. We need to add a tee into that pipe. How should I cut and insert the tee? Your advise/help will be mostly appreciated.

Mechelle
Now you say you need to connect the bathroom sink DRAIN to that vertical pipe, right? Later on you said you needed to tie in the VENT. Okay, maybe I'm confused. Anyway, I wouldnt go with a fernco tee at all. First of all...at least around here....fernco fittings are not approved for aboveground installation. Too much movement. Go to a plumbing supply house and get a tee and two slip (aka "repair") couplings. (I doubt you'll find slip couplings from the guys in the orange vests.) These have no stops in them and will slide over the pipe. Just take a look at them...kind of self explainitory.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #9

JDC, I am not sure if you reversed things. Everywhere I have lived, Fernco are not allowed underground and No-hub is. I use No-hub most of the time since it is easier to carry just one type coupling. No-hub, with the stainless steel cover is also stiffer.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #10

I got the fernco from homedepot. I used a 2" fernco coupling with a regular PVC tee. Now that I read your comments, it leaves me sort of a feeling that something might not be right. Expecially the vent "above" sink level and the code "preventing fernco" parts.

As for the water supply pipes, yes, they are for a sink on the other side of the wall.

Mechelle,