Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #1

Share |

House system pressure vs.well pump life expectancy

Greetings from Ottawa where winter is coming in fast (grumble).

My question is this:

Does having a higher (40-60 p.s.i.) tank /system pressure cause your well pump to wear out more than a lower pressure? I instinctively think yes but thought I'd ask to see if there's anything I am missing. I'd like to have a kick-@$$ shower in the house but not if it means burning my 100 foot deep pump out much sooner.

I'm just about to the stage where I set up the pressure tank/switch settings.

ChantryOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #2

40-60 is normal, not high pressure.
It's more to do with flow (CFM) then pressure.
Just going from 1/2" supply lines to 3/4" will almost double the available flow to a fixture.
If you where to go with a 1" main line all the way to where it splits off to the smaller lines there would be 4 times the flow.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Master Plumber

Your standard pressure switch is set for 40 / 60 psi. If you take off the cover (with first turning the power off of course) there are instructions that show you how to raise and lower the pressure settings I have brought them up as high as 50 / 70 psi. Its a lot of dinking around but it is possible.
Benplumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Master Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benplumbing View Post
Your standard pressure switch is set for 40 / 60 psi. If you take off the cover (with first turning the power off of course) there are instructions that show you how to raise and lower the pressure settings I have brought them up as high as 50 / 70 psi. Its a lot of dinking around but it is possible.
also something to think about if and when you're well pump should fail or your pressure tank you can install what is called a constant pressure system which eliminates your larger type pressure tank to something smaller and a control box that maintains city like pressure up to 70 psi.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #5

I had a fellow at HD explain what I think is the same "constant pressure" system you outline, and IF it's the same thing, it's a demand pump. It seemed to be much stronger built that your ordinary jet pump. The fellow said he'd had one at his cottage for a couple of years now and he was totally happy with it.

Is that the system you're describing, BenPlumbing??

Thanks for the info, all. I guess my only remaining question is does your cut-out pressure determine the wear and tear on your well pump, or is it negligible??

I would rather shower at 50 p.s.i. if it meant doubling my pump life. Does head pressure, or more accurately maintaining that head pressure, determine strain on bearings and impellers??
Old 11-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #6

Your spending a lot of time worry about nothing.
Any home I've lived in has had a 40/60 pressure switch and I have yet to replace a pump.
So what if you gain a few days by lowing the pressure over the expected life time of the pump which would be about 10 to 15 years or longer.
You'll spend more time then that just waiting for the hot water to get there.
The last place you want to be taking advice is from anyone at a box store unless your asking where something is in the store.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

The average well pump puts out a lot more pressure than 60 psi. The pump may operate at up to 120 psi. Your pressure switch simply tells the pump to stop pumping when the pressure reaches cut off, typically about 60 psi.

The pump life is determined primarily by the number of start/stop cycles the pump goes through, since startup is hard on the well motor. Once the pump is running, there is limited wear from actual pumping. So the idea of a pressure tank is to minimize the number of motor starts. The pressure tank accomplishes this by storing 5-15 gallons (typical) of pressurized water in the tank, which means you get perhaps five minutes of flow without need to run the pump, even when you are taking a shower (typically 2 gpm or so).

If you did not have a pressure tank, the pump would be cycling on and off rapidly, which will definitely wear out the pump. So the key to long pump life is to maintain a properly functioning pressure tank. The amount of run time you get on one pressure tank charge is driven by the pressure difference between cut in and cut out (typically set to 20 psi), and the amount of live storage in the tank. You can reduce the starts and stops by increasing the difference between cut in and cut out, but this is rarely done, since the low end pressure may be inadequate to maintain flow. You can also purchase a larger pressure tank. By storing 20 gallons of water versus the typical 5-8 gallons, you get much more run time between pump starts. But of course the pressure tank is larger, and costs more.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
jmon (11-04-2013), joecaption (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #8

we have a customer with a meyers submersable pump 212 ft deep running at 75 psi been installed for 25 yrs ....still running strong...ben sr..40/60 enjoy your showers.....don't think about it
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #9

Thanks for all the great info guys. I understand a lot better now. I'm new to the well owner scene and you guys have eased my mind quite a bit. Wait til I tell the wife that we don't have to sacrifice water pressure just cuz we're on a well.

MAJOR brownie points!!

I did purchase a 30 gallon pressure tank to ease the pump cycles a bit, however I did not know that the number of cycles was what determines pump life the most. Live and learn I guess.

P.S. the guy at HD was a customer, buying parts to extend his demand system.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Master Plumber

If you're ever interested in a constant pressure system I would not be shopping at Home Depot. I would call a qualified well pump installer and ask them about it and the different options they have in products!!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #11

You want long life on a well pump then you install a large well pressure tank. The larger that tank is the less the pump needs to turn on and off.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
Master Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
You want long life on a well pump then you install a large well pressure tank. The larger that tank is the less the pump needs to turn on and off.
Not necessarily if you have a half horse power well pump with an 80 gallon equivalent pressure tank you'll end up with the pump running too long / shortening the life of the pump.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #13

Well I bought a 30 gallon to replace the 20 that was there. The 20 had a severely corroded pressure switch, and the tank looked like it had leaked in the past, there was lots of rust around it. I spent about 300 bucks for the tank and the switch/valve/gauge kit.

The Following User Says Thank You to ChantryOntario For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-06-2013)