DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Hot water won't stop running

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  AllanJ 
#1 ·
I recently replaced our old dishwasher, but found that I could not completely stop the hot water from trickling out of the original hot water supply. Upon finishing that project, I noticed one of the shut off valves was leaking under the sink. It was soldered, so I turned off the house water supply, including the hot water supply from the hot water heater, sweated out the old valve and soldered in a new one. Once everything was finished, the hot water will not stop running out of the kitchen sink! What could be the problem? Thanks in advance (since I KNOW you guys have an answer!)

See less See more
#8 ·
my mistake, i meant to check further down the line for leaks, in particular the spot he just fixed.
from what i've seen here, and in my own experience, more often than not, water flow problems begin after someone does work on the plumbing and gunk breaks free and clogs valves and spouts/showerheads.

i need to proofread before i send these darn things.... sorry.

DM

#9 ·
You may have melted or otherwise damaged the washer or something else in the new shutoff as you soldered it. The shutoff should be in the open position while soldering.

Depending on what kind of debris it is, you can also damage the valve by grinding it open and closed trying to crush the debris.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.