Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #1

Share |

Hot water won't stop running

I recently replaced our old dishwasher, but found that I could not completely stop the hot water from trickling out of the original hot water supply. Upon finishing that project, I noticed one of the shut off valves was leaking under the sink. It was soldered, so I turned off the house water supply, including the hot water supply from the hot water heater, sweated out the old valve and soldered in a new one. Once everything was finished, the hot water will not stop running out of the kitchen sink! What could be the problem? Thanks in advance (since I KNOW you guys have an answer!)

rickp47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Maybe you freed some debris which is now stuck on the faucet seat. Open and close a few times to see if it will free it self. next remove the stem and clear the seat washer.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
MasterPlumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp47 View Post
I recently replaced our old dishwasher, but found that I could not completely stop the hot water from trickling out of the original hot water supply. Upon finishing that project, I noticed one of the shut off valves was leaking under the sink. It was soldered, so I turned off the house water supply, including the hot water supply from the hot water heater, sweated out the old valve and soldered in a new one. Once everything was finished, the hot water will not stop running out of the kitchen sink! What could be the problem? Thanks in advance (since I KNOW you guys have an answer!)
You most likely have some debris stuck in your kitchen faucet valve. You will have to take the faucet apart to remove the debris.
ironrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
the Musigician

i'd start at the first valve then, the faucet. check it for o-ring/washer wear, then work your way down the line.

DM
Old 02-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
MasterPlumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
i'd start at the first valve then, the faucet. check it for o-ring/washer wear, then work your way down the line.

DM

The kitchen faucet won't shut off. Just curious, what does that have to do with the angle stop shut off valves or anything down the lines? The problem is in the faucet.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironrange View Post
The kitchen faucet won't shut off. Just curious, what does that have to do with the angle stop shut off valves or anything down the lines? The problem is in the faucet.
the first "valve" IS the faucet......

DM
Old 02-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
MasterPlumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
the first "valve" IS the faucet......

DM
Ok, never heard a kitchen faucet called a "first valve", thought you were talking about the angle stop which would be first, before the faucet, and because you were talking about a problem further down the line? What?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
the Musigician

my mistake, i meant to check further down the line for leaks, in particular the spot he just fixed.
from what i've seen here, and in my own experience, more often than not, water flow problems begin after someone does work on the plumbing and gunk breaks free and clogs valves and spouts/showerheads.

i need to proofread before i send these darn things.... sorry.

DM
Old 02-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #9

You may have melted or otherwise damaged the washer or something else in the new shutoff as you soldered it. The shutoff should be in the open position while soldering.

Depending on what kind of debris it is, you can also damage the valve by grinding it open and closed trying to crush the debris.