Hot Water Trickle - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hot water trickle

First time posting so hi to eveyone. Upstairs bath has slow trickle on the hot water. Sinks etc all fine. It actually stopped yesterday so done the "back flow" advice which produced a faster but still poor flow. I have mixed taps and am in a hard water area. The boiler is not new. Any ideas what it could be before i go blow a whole load of cash on a plumber?

Advertisement

Malc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

hot water trickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
First time posting so hi to eveyone. Upstairs bath has slow trickle on the hot water. Sinks etc all fine. It actually stopped yesterday so done the "back flow" advice which produced a faster but still poor flow. I have mixed taps and am in a hard water area. The boiler is not new. Any ideas what it could be before i go blow a whole load of cash on a plumber?
Do you have a single handle mixing valve on your bath tub? I had a similar problem with my MOEN tap. I found that there is a small metal cylinder that moves back and forth inside the tap, whose function is balance the hot and cold water pressures!
My problem was that this cylinder became limed up and its movement was restricted! I removed mine and soaked it in vinegar to clean it up!
Taking the Moen valve apart is tricky and it requires a special removal tool!

Advertisement

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

hot water trickle

Wildie. First of all thanks for taking the time to post a suggestion. There are two taps with a central arm delivering the water, probably known by a better name i am sure. DIY knowhow restricted to decorating and other house improvement's I'm afraid. The suugestion you put forward does make sense as the water is so hard around here. Would dearly love to get the unit into a vinegar bath of some description but am reluctant to start meddling in a subject i am unsure about. Cheers again
Malc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

hot water trickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malc View Post
Wildie. First of all thanks for taking the time to post a suggestion. There are two taps with a central arm delivering the water, probably known by a better name i am sure. DIY knowhow restricted to decorating and other house improvement's I'm afraid. The suugestion you put forward does make sense as the water is so hard around here. Would dearly love to get the unit into a vinegar bath of some description but am reluctant to start meddling in a subject i am unsure about. Cheers again
If you are going have a home, its a good idea to learn basic maintenance skills!
Your problem isn't likely to the same as mine. But, something such as a chunk of lime could have broken away and lodged itself into the tap orifice.
I'll give you a link to an article on how to repair a tap washer! Its much the same problem, it may encourage you to make an attempt at a repair!

http://www.essortment.com/all/howtochangea_rggw.htm
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote