Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #1

Share |

Hot water temp.or bad soap

I'm having a problem with my dish washer ,
Our glasses are coming out with a whiteish tint to them.
and some dishes are a little dirty,
I have the hot water at 118 degrees because the grand kids are here once in a while.
It seems this started when we came back from vacation ( wk ) and I had turned down the tank's temp. to the vacation setting.
What is the very best Temp. for a hot water tank, two adults in their home under normal usage?
I was at a friends home and their glasses looked pure clear store shelf new?

Could it be a bad soap? Store brand ?
Has anyone else had this problem ?
deck hand

deck hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #2

110 degrees or less is considered "tempered" water in commercial buildings for safety requirements. I think 118 degrees is a pretty good setting that won't scald anyone too quickly. I run mine hotter, but it will burn you, so if I had kids I'd see it differently.

I'd try a different soap. Powdered soaps will often leave residue. Try liquid soap instead. You also might have some luck with "Jet Dry" if you dishwasher has a port for that stuff.

It would also be a good idea to make sure the unit is draining properly and there isn't a lot of food particles stuck somewhere in the drain tube.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
I have gas!

Dishwashers heat thier own water to reach a much higher temperature than a hot water heater. I'd say it's either bad soap or something is clogging the jets and preventing the rinse cycle from rinsing properly.

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 05-29-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #4

If the distance from the hot water tank to the dishwasher is far, try running the water in the kitchen sink until it becomes hot and then start your machine.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:01 PM   #5

Do you use a liquid detergent? Liquid detergents have been known to "sandblast" or etch glassware. If the whitest tent won't wash off by hand your glasses have been etched.

In all fairness I must say I got this information from a appliance repair website so I don't know if all liquids are culpable.

Also do not place glassware in the lower rack.
Docfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
Long-Time DIYer

All good advice so far that I've seen here, and I do much of it.
I have no such problems, however, because I keep my water heater temp at 140, but I have no children (or grandchildren of course), so I don't have a scald issue.
If I were you, I would set my water heater temp up when the little ones were not around and turn it down when they are. I believe that the hotter the water, the cleaner the dishes. And the type of soap matters, and we like Jet-Dry.
Good luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #7

Do you use a liquid detergent? Liquid detergents have been known to "sandblast" or etch glassware. If the whitest tent won't wash off by hand your glasses have been etched.

In all fairness I must say I got this information from a appliance repair website so I don't know if all liquids are culpable.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docfletcher View Post

Don't you mean powderd soaps will sandblast ?

Deck hand
Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 AM   #9

Nope! I know it seems odd. One would think the powder would be more abrasive, but it is not.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docfletcher View Post
Nope! I know it seems odd. One would think the powder would be more abrasive, but it is not.

Ok Thanks
deck hand
Old 05-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #11

I'm also under the impression that the machine will heat up the water, my book says to run the hot water in the sink just before starting up the dishwasher. Not to start a debate but I use liquid, like it better then powder. On another note, after obserbing my son's dishwater cycle being shorter then mine,(same brand) I started using the air dry option instead of the electric heat option, I also put jet dry in. been doing this now for last few months, better half has not noticed the difference in cleaning, (still haven't told her yet though)
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #12
Underground Techie

My dishwasher is hooked up to the cold water if I am not mistaken. It heats up its own water. The water heater has nothing to do with it. One thing though, my dishwasher too has been leaving a white powder on my dishes. I don't know why. If I take a coffee cup and fill it half full of vinegar and place it on the top shelf, upright, then run the washer they come out clean. I need to tear the thing apart sometime and see what I can see.

sevver is offline   Reply With Quote