Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hot water tank's pilot wont stay lit

So randomly my pilot light went out on my Kenmore Power Miser 6. Unfortunately no the thing wont light back up. I got through the relight procedure and everything goes ok until I let up on the button and then the flame goes out. It acts like I just turn the gas off as the flame dies down much slower than if it was blown out. I'm completely new to the gas hot water tanks so any advice would be helpful.

donavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,368

The thermo coupling is shot----I'm not familiar with that model---on older ones--it's a quick fix with just a few dollars for the thermo coupling--

On the new sealed units----not so easy---most of those need parts from the manufacturer---

Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #3

OK I managed to find a mannual and I can seem to find the thermo coupling can you tell me what I am missing ?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
DIY staff

Use Google images----thermocouple----

coming out of the bottom of the gas control valve---you will see a thin copper tube---that's the thermocouple---the tip sits in the flame of the pilot light----and tells the gas valve that the pilot is lit---

If it dies---the gas valve thinks the pilot is not lit----and shuts off the gas----

On old style heaters the replacement is simple===on newer units with the burner cover and the little glass window---you are going to have to call a service man in or contact the maker for parts---
Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #5

Drat I guess Im calling someone soon then I have one of the new sealed ones. Price wise with the cost of a tech and parts would it be better to just scrap this tank and buy a new one? I've never had people come to the house to work on appliances before so I don't know how much it costs for that sort of thing.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Normally on Electrics it costs the customer around 125 bucks for me to change out all of the electrical components, including labor.

I would imagine changing out a thermocoupler wouldn't be too much worse.

You're looking at a minimum of 550-600 installed for a new tank, but probably quite a bit more than that.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #7

Im not worried about the installation I can do that part myself I just cant seem to find the thermocouple for this beast of mine. Sears doesn't even list it on there site as a part that can be gotten. So if its going to cost a small fortune to source this part and then I have to pay to have it install (not sure why I would honestly aside from them not selling me the part unless I have a tech do it). But thanks for the info. I called a local repair shop that I buy used appliances off of and they don't stock them so I guess I have to see what I can figure out.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,100

I have a kemore miser 9 roto swirl. Had similar problem, I couldn't even get a 9 dollar thermocouple. They said I had to replace the entire burner assembly which cost around 85-90 dollars. When I tried to purchase a seperate thermocouple from them, they said, the thermocouple cannot be changed seperately. It comes with new burner assembly. you can check out searspartsdirect.com, and see if you can get one seperately, see what they tell you. You can call or chat. Just make sure you get the right burner assembly, because there are several on the website. Write down your model number. Best to talk with a rep.

Last edited by jmon; 03-14-2013 at 11:38 AM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
Retired Army Veteran

Sorry, that's searspartsdirect.com. check out link below, I neeeded the 9003379 model. Which is not pictured. Installed in about 15 minutes, everything nice and hot. While you have everything out and apart, good time to get a small vacshop cleaner and vaccumm the base and filter. Mine was terrible and probably added to the problem. If that filter is clogged that also will keep the pilot from staying lit. Sorry, with price, it is around 85 - 90 dollars with shipping. You can't see it very well, but the thermocouple is there, it's hidden by burner. I had to actually chat with someone to get the right one. Don't guess, the miser 4,6 and 9 all have different burner types and they are not interchangeable.

link here

Last edited by jmon; 03-14-2013 at 11:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-14-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Retired Army Veteran

If you end up replacing whole burner assy, the igniter wire, (orange wire) has a little plastic shield on it that pulls back so you can unplug it from the igniter and plug new wire in, then put shield back over connections. Another option would be to take out the burner assy. and clean it really good, get carbon off thermocouple, vaccumm base and filter, etc. and see if that helps.

Of course if you don't feel comfortable doing any of this, it's best to hire a pro who could do the same thing for around 150 -250 dollars or so and you won't have to worry about a thing. A new hwh, installed, would cost around 800 dollars or so depending on size and cost of hwh.

Last edited by jmon; 03-14-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #11

OK I have tested the thermal couple and it seems to be ok. Im about to go clean it out and see what it what.... any other suggestion?
Old 03-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
Retired Army Veteran

That's about it. Little emery cloth on thermocouple should do it, no need to sand it really hard, just need to make sure all carbon is clean off really good. When cleaning the filter/screen use vacumm underneath filter/screen to vacumm and suck out dirt or use the shopvac's other end which is the exhaust and blow on top of screen so dirt falls to bottom. Do both. Give it a good cleaning and see what that does for you. Will go from there.

Last edited by jmon; 03-14-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #13

Well I did everything I could in regards to cleaning things up and still no love. I am of the mind that it must be the Gas control Valve/Thermostat unit. This puts it out of the realm of repair as the cost of the part and getting it shipped in a reasonable amount of time is more than half the cost of a new one. Soooooo... off to Lowes I go after work to get something that isn't made by Sears.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
DIY staff

Do your self a favor----go to a plumbing supply house and get it there---ask if they stock the repair parts----

If you could run down to the local shop and get parts --you would not be replacing that now---
jmon (03-15-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #15
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 538

Around these parts Kenmore is the very cheapest water heater you can buy. Not saying they are bad, just cheap price wise. Even in my bottom dollar rentals I only install Bradford whites. How old is your water heater? Lowe's has had their problems with water heaters as well. I guess they fixed the problem, google lowes whirlpool. The way everything is getting so cheap, you can only afford the best these days.

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mj12 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-15-2013)