Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:22 AM   #1

Share |

Hot water tank leaking.

my hot water tank has a small leak from the temperature pressure releif valve. Last week I noticed that the temperature was set very high ( somebody must have bumped it accidentaly). I turned it back to it's regular setting & I noticed 2 days ago that it was leaking.The water is not coming from the tube that drains it, it's coming from the seams around the TPRV. I'm wondering if I have to call a plumber or if there is something I can do myself? Thanks in advance.

Symbiote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
Whatamess

Hot water tank leaking.

You can change it yourself. First trip the lever a few times and see if it seals. Get your new valve at HD/Lowes or where ever. Cut your water supply to the heater off. If the T/P is connected to a drain open it and let it drain the water down. If not hook a garden hose to the drain at the bottom.Open a hot water faucet to vent. Remove the drain tube from the T/P valve.Change your valve using teflon tape or paste sealer on the threads. Close the faucet and turn the water back on. Leak check. Draining is not a have to do. Make sure there is no pressure on the system.
Have your new valve ready and switch them out quickly and you will not loose 1 cup of water.
This must be a gas heater so I would suggest you protect the temp. knob from being hit. This can get you scalded. Good Luck

Last edited by TazinCR; 09-18-2008 at 06:59 AM.
TazinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:05 AM   #3

Hot water tank leaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazinCR View Post
You can change it yourself. First trip the lever a few times and see if it seals. Get your new valve at HD/Lowes or where ever. Cut your water supply to the heater off. If the T/P is connected to a drain open it and let it drain the water down. If not hook a garden hose to the drain at the bottom.Open a hot water faucet to vent. Remove the drain tube from the T/P valve.Change your valve using teflon tape or paste sealer on the threads. Close the faucet and turn the water back on. Leak check. Draining is not a have to do. Make sure there is no pressure on the system.
Have your new valve ready and switch them out quickly and you will not loose 1 cup of water.
This must be a gas heater so I would suggest you protect the temp. knob from being hit. This can get you scalded. Good Luck
Gas or electric, you probably want to shut off the hot water heater also. For electric, you might also want to trip the breaker at the box.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #4

Hot water tank leaking.

if the threads are dripping you can refit it with teflon.if gas put the gas valve to pilot if elecrtic shut the breaker off....shut the cold water feed valve and drain the tank from the bottom.afer 5 minutes......put a bucket under the pipe that comes from the relief,and pull the pin up to the horizontal and let it dump into the bucket.when the water stops dumping into the bucket the tank water level is below the relief and your safe.continue to drain off the tank from the bottom petcock remove the pipe lenght out of the relief and un screw the brass relief.clean out the opening with a wire brush,steel wool to clear the thread.with the relief in hand clear the threads.now wrap it 3-4 times with teflon tape going opposite the way it threads back into the tank.go back in hand tight then channel lock it 1-2 full turns for tightness(leave down pipe off for now) shut drain off ,open feed water.... and reset gas valve to ON put relief stem to down tank on position during normal ops.let it all come up to normal temps/regular hot water to the faucets,and check those threads.the relief is brass and the female opening on the tank is steel add 120F water and the metals work against each other causing posssible leaks(drips)
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #5

Hot water tank leaking.

Thanks for your help. The things I was reading on the internet were leading me to believe that I needed to call a plumber immediately & I would probably need a new water tank. The drip has pretty much stopped but I will still replace the PRV or at put more teflon tape on at the very least.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:02 AM   #6

Hot water tank leaking.

if you had the drip in the burner section and the water was at the base of the heater that would call for a 100% change out(that is the house water pressure it would leak more then the threads),you only have 4 threaded points on that heater.....the cold water in,the hot water out,the relief valve,and the temperature dial/ gas valve assembly.depending on what plumber you get in he might scare you into a new tank $$$$$$$$$.HD or Lowes plumbing section they sell new reliefs if you go that way..tag on the exsisting should be stamped 30 PSI opens typical!
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #7

Hot water tank leaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiote View Post
my hot water tank has a small leak from the temperature pressure releif valve. Last week I noticed that the temperature was set very high ( somebody must have bumped it accidentaly). I turned it back to it's regular setting & I noticed 2 days ago that it was leaking.The water is not coming from the tube that drains it, it's coming from the seams around the TPRV. I'm wondering if I have to call a plumber or if there is something I can do myself? Thanks in advance.
You haven't mentioned the age of this hot water heater.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #8

Hot water tank leaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
You haven't mentioned the age of this hot water heater.
I'm not sure of the age, I bought the house 6 years ago. It doesn't look to be that old but I can't be sure.