Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #1

Share |
Question

hot water tank cross lines? no hot water

While traveling my wife had a plumber out to start working on a new bathroom, which he "roughed in" the lines. Coincident to the work we do not have Hot water from our electric water heater, I checked the breakers OK, reset top and bottom for both elements. Seems to coming on -- however, oddly enough -- or so it seems odd, when I touch the COLD pipe on the top it is hot and the HOT pipe is cold. I would have thought that cold supply into the unit would be cold and the out Hot would be Hot -- both of these feeds are at the top.

Is normal or has something been switched? Thanks

jbcornette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #2

did he rough in a shower valve?

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man
did he rough in a shower valve?
Yes.. New lines tapped into the old, new shower value etc
Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #4

what you have is a cross connection between the hot and cold water supply. normally, this is b/c of a new shower valve not having a cartridge, or having a faulty cartridge. delta makes a universal rough in valve that comes with a cap for testing, and thats what we normally seem to hear about here check that out, and if it still doesn't make sense, maybe take a pic or two and post them for us here
Old 03-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
what you have is a cross connection between the hot and cold water supply. normally, this is b/c of a new shower valve not having a cartridge, or having a faulty cartridge. delta makes a universal rough in valve that comes with a cap for testing, and thats what we normally seem to hear about here check that out, and if it still doesn't make sense, maybe take a pic or two and post them for us here
Interesting -- the water heater is on the same floor as this bathroom, but don't follow how that influences all water in house? So whats the fix? Thx

Here's the pics ...
Attached Thumbnails
hot water tank cross lines? no hot water-showersnap.jpg  
Old 03-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #6

There should be two little shutoff screws, one for hot and one for cold, in the shower valve assembly. Turn them both to "shut off" the water. This way you get rid of the cross connection or "short circuit" letting cold water into your curr=ent shower.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #7

just like i thought. there should be a cartridge inside of the box.... turn the water off, open a lower faucet to bleed down the system, take off the cap in the center of the valve, then insert the cartridge. there will be instructions inside the box (unless the plumber threw them away). easy fix, or call the plumber back in to do it, since he should have known that this would happen
Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man
just like i thought. there should be a cartridge inside of the box.... turn the water off, open a lower faucet to bleed down the system, take off the cap in the center of the valve, then insert the cartridge. there will be instructions inside the box (unless the plumber threw them away). easy fix, or call the plumber back in to do it, since he should have known that this would happen
Thanks. You nailed it .. Mega thanks
Old 03-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcornette View Post
Here's the pics ...
Kudos to the_man for nailing your problem and congrats to you for fixing it.

However I wonder why the plumber ran the pex tubing on the left side in a curve to the valve (recommended), but installed an elbow in the pex tubing on the right side (not recommended). I thought important benefits of using pex tubing are to eliminate elbows where possible to improve water flow, cut down noise and have less joints for less chance of leakage.

HRG
Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #10

JB Cornette,

your plumber needs help. No offense, but he did not use nail plates to protect the pipes where they go through the studs. He used copper straps to strap the pipe which is plastic and they will eventually eat through the pipe and cause leaks. He tied white pvc pipe together with black abs pipe without using a transition fitting and he reduced the pvc down from 2" to 1.5" where it turns to abs. Very poor job. Are you getting permits and is he licensed. I hate to come down on any body but he is really doing you a major dis-service. Not good plumbing.

Patrick
plumber4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber4200 View Post
JB Cornette,

your plumber needs help. No offense, but he did not use nail plates to protect the pipes where they go through the studs. He used copper straps to strap the pipe which is plastic and they will eventually eat through the pipe and cause leaks. He tied white pvc pipe together with black abs pipe without using a transition fitting and he reduced the pvc down from 2" to 1.5" where it turns to abs. Very poor job. Are you getting permits and is he licensed. I hate to come down on any body but he is really doing you a major dis-service. Not good plumbing.

Patrick
Wow .. surprised you can see all that from the pics. Thanks ... yes to both, I'm an EE but I dont do plumbing, especially if it goes behind walls or in the floor, he's back tomorrow I'll share.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #12

I noticed that too.PVC to ABS without transition? they dont GLUE together propertly..dang at worse he could of used a fernco. acetone everywhere..looks like barney the purple dinosaur barfed all over your subfloor

1488rob is offline   Reply With Quote