Hot Water Supply Through Slab, Need To Cut And Cap And Bury - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hot water supply through slab, need to cut and cap and bury

Hey all, new to the forum and plumbing is a weakness for me and new some advice from the pros!

In my kitchen I have hot and cold water lines running through the slab (see pic below), we are expanding the kitchen and putting an island in and in order to have enough space between the island and the new countertops I need to bury the supply pipe (one with arrow) under the slab and fill in with concrete.

A few questions, 1) is this ok to do 2) if so, how do I go about doing it 3) if not, what are my options for getting ride of this water line?

Thanks so much in advance!

Brian

Advertisement

brianleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,376

Can not tell the material in the pix but I will assume copper. The pipes in question come out of slab and are teed back down so the supply another location. You need to demo enough slab to get below the concrete. Cut the risers and connect the pipe together by brazing (soldering is not sufficient). Bury the connections in the fill (not in concrete) and then patch the slab.

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 10:00 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. So looks like I'll have to do this for both the hot and cold since we'll have to get below a 4 inch stub on the other.

Definitely not something I want to tackle myself. If I hire someone to do this job will the demo the slab to get to the pipes and then do the brazing as needed or will I need to demo the slab and bring someone in to just do the plumbing work?

Should I look for a plumber or a contractor that will do it all? Not really sure?

Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianleo View Post
Thanks for the reply. So looks like I'll have to do this for both the hot and cold since we'll have to get below a 4 inch stub on the other.

Definitely not something I want to tackle myself. If I hire someone to do this job will the demo the slab to get to the pipes and then do the brazing as needed or will I need to demo the slab and bring someone in to just do the plumbing work?

Should I look for a plumber or a contractor that will do it all? Not really sure?

Thanks again.
It will be cheaper if you break up the slab yourself and remove as much material as possible.

You probably don't want a contractor brazing copper lines. Get a plumber.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #5

Thanks Alan.

I guess all this makes me a little uneasy considering I have no idea how think the slab is, what the original construction was, where the water lines actually run or what I'd be getting into.

Is this something that is fairly common for people to do?