Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hot water Supply for Dishwasher

My supply is 85" away from where the dishwasher is going to be placed. The dishwasher kit comes with a 60" hose, so what would be the best way to extend the supply line?

This would be located inside cabinet...so should I just run copper pipe from a shutout valve under the sink?

Not sure if I can solder on an end that can attach to the flex tubing that comes with the dishwasher kit?

hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 20

You can extend it with a 3/8" compression union (take off and discard the compression nuts and sleeves) and attach another braided connector to extend it.

The discharge hose (5/8" I.D.) can be purchased by the foot. If the hose that's attached to the machine is corrugated plastic with a rubber end, you can use a short piece of 1/2" copper to join the two pieces: the copper fits inside the ends of each piece and can be held in place with hose clamps.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #3

where are you planning on discharging the DW? you will need to provide for an air gap somewhere as well.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #4

I'm not a fan of joints hidden in/behind the cabinets. Go get a roll of 1/4" ID copper and install it with one piece. Use a compression fitting on the dw and angle stop... no soldering required
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:01 AM   #5

OT: I question the ability to extend the dishwasher or clothes washing machine drain hose by splicing onto it. Beyond the end of the drain hose that came with the dishwasher, the waste water must be on gravity flow, accomplished by having an air gap or loose fit to whatever the hose is extended to/with.

OT: Especially with the dishwasher far from the hot water source, it is highly desirable to run the water from a nearby hot faucet (sink needed) until the water gets hot, before starting the dishwasher.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
OT: Especially with the dishwasher far from the hot water source, it is highly desirable to run the water from a nearby hot faucet (sink needed) until the water gets hot, before starting the dishwasher.
Any dishwasher I have owned is capable of heating its own water.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:11 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
OT: I question the ability to extend the dishwasher or clothes washing machine drain hose by splicing onto it. Beyond the end of the drain hose that came with the dishwasher, the waste water must be on gravity flow, accomplished by having an air gap or loose fit to whatever the hose is extended to/with.
It's standard practice. I guess I'm not sure why you question it? The pump in most washing machines, for instance can pump vertically up to 8 feet. Dishwashers only need to pump up to just beneath the countertop. The hose can be looped up near the machine and pitched for gravity drain from there to the disposal or dishwasher tailpiece which provides the necessary air gap.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
You can extend it with a 3/8" compression union (take off and discard the compression nuts and sleeves) and attach another braided connector to extend it.

The discharge hose (5/8" I.D.) can be purchased by the foot. If the hose that's attached to the machine is corrugated plastic with a rubber end, you can use a short piece of 1/2" copper to join the two pieces: the copper fits inside the ends of each piece and can be held in place with hose clamps.
So off the main water supply I use shutoff valve that is attached to a 3/8" comp union that connects to the braided connector.

Then for the discharge hose purchase a 5/8' hose that is long enough to reach the drain.

Correct?

And do you think I'll need to put in a air gap above the sink? Not sure what this does but it probaBLY HELPS THE FLOW.
hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #9

The air gap does not help flow, it prevents it. If your water supply piping develops a negative pressure, contaminated water from the dishwasher drain could be pulled into the supply piping, contaminating it. The air gap prevents that from happening.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote