Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #1

Share |

hot water shut off

I have a link in my kitchen sink. I was trying to see if it was the hot or cold water leaking, so I turned off the under sink valve on the hot water. That wasn't leaking so I turned it back on but the pressure was very low. I turned it back off and on again ... now there is no water coming out of the tap at all... well a tiny tiny bit. What could be wrong?
Thanks to any one that can help me and I am sorry if anything I did here was wrong.
I read most everything before I made this first post and I think I did it right.

carol56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Why not

hot water shut off

still getting cold water?

noahweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #3

hot water shut off

I'd take the aerator of the faucet and see if that is clogged.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #4

hot water shut off

your undersink valve called a stop is defective turn off hot water at the water heater disassemble stop clean out the old washer which is stuck inside deplace washer reassemble using plumers grease
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

hot water shut off

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberinlaw View Post
your undersink valve called a stop is defective turn off hot water at the water heater disassemble stop clean out the old washer which is stuck inside deplace washer reassemble using plumers grease
This sounds most likely to me. You could (probably should) just buy a new valve. Depending on the condition of it, it's normally a good idea.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:54 AM   #6

hot water shut off

yep I get cold water and yep I removed the ( I forgot the name of it) but the thing on the faucet. I guess I just need a need new shut valve. I was afraid of that. I am not good at plumbing.. I hate it, but I stumble my way throught most easy things. I have a very bad leak and turning off both hot and cold valves does not stop the drip, I should replace both hot and cold valves. Both of them are at least 20 years old.
Thank everyone for the help. They were all very good ideas.
I guess I have to face my fears and replace everything. I dont remember if my faucets are washless or not, it has been so long ago.
Why do they say something is a life guatee when I have to replace this? Why bother to say this. I spent a lot on all my plumbing so that I would not have to worry about any of this. I am getting old and I hate plumbing. Thanks to everyone again for being so kind to me
Old 02-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #7

hot water shut off

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol56 View Post
yep I get cold water and yep I removed the ( I forgot the name of it) but the thing on the faucet. I guess I just need a need new shut valve. I was afraid of that. I am not good at plumbing.. I hate it, but I stumble my way throught most easy things. I have a very bad leak and turning off both hot and cold valves does not stop the drip, I should replace both hot and cold valves. Both of them are at least 20 years old.
Thank everyone for the help. They were all very good ideas.
I guess I have to face my fears and replace everything. I dont remember if my faucets are washless or not, it has been so long ago.
Why do they say something is a life guatee when I have to replace this? Why bother to say this. I spent a lot on all my plumbing so that I would not have to worry about any of this. I am getting old and I hate plumbing. Thanks to everyone again for being so kind to me
I hate plumbing to and I hate plumbers prices even more that's why I DIY.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #8

hot water shut off

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULTINI View Post
I hate plumbing to and I hate plumbers prices even more that's why I DIY.
I hate plumbers prices too and I always feel that because I am older and a woman, they double the price on me.
AS I said I can do simple things and I guess I knew what had to be done but I was just dreaming that there may be a differant thing to do.
I will have to wait until the first of the month to buy this stuff and then you may see me back again. Thanks again
Old 02-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

hot water shut off

I don't want to offend anyone or go off on a rant, but I can't stand people talking like plumbers are a rip-off. If you think your plumber is ripping you off, you need to shop around. The shop owner where I work has been plumbing for 35 years, and is retiring. He still owes money on his mortgage. If he was ripping people off the way you say, he'd probably own 3 or 4 houses. We don't drive nice new trucks, or have the latest and greatest tools either. I'm not saying there aren't people that charge too much or are willing to rip someone off, but most of us aren't making a killing out here. There is a cost of doing business, and most of us charge just above that so that we can make a little profit. That is the point of having a business, right?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #10

hot water shut off

I hate old plumbers... oh crap i am an old plumber who doesnt charge enough
Old 02-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #11

hot water shut off

alan, I didn't mean every plumber in the world was a cheat, but as in every thing else a few rottem apples.........

no insult meant.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #12

hot water shut off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I don't want to offend anyone or go off on a rant, but I can't stand people talking like plumbers are a rip-off. If you think your plumber is ripping you off, you need to shop around. The shop owner where I work has been plumbing for 35 years, and is retiring. He still owes money on his mortgage. If he was ripping people off the way you say, he'd probably own 3 or 4 houses. We don't drive nice new trucks, or have the latest and greatest tools either. I'm not saying there aren't people that charge too much or are willing to rip someone off, but most of us aren't making a killing out here. There is a cost of doing business, and most of us charge just above that so that we can make a little profit. That is the point of having a business, right?
Alan let me restate what I said, " I hate plumbing and I hate plumbers prices". Now I didn't say anything about rip offs, hating plumbers, or any other dislike for trades men. I started my career as a HVAC mechanic so I know how you feel. When I said that's why I DIY it's because I don't want to pay any body for anything not just plumbers. And I will say over the years I have saved Thousands of $$.

SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote