Hot Water Shut Off - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hot water shut off

I am remodeling a bathroom, and during the demo and disconnect of water lines, the plastic handle on the hot water shut off valve under the sink broke off at its plastic stem. Two questions: is the valve salvageable? If not, there is no shut off between the hot water tank and the damaged valve, so what is the best way to turn the hot water off to replace the damaged valve? Thanks.

Advertisement

ny1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

Hot water shut off

First let me say this without seeming to be rude: I do not use those plastic valves and that is one reason why. NO, the valve is not repairable. Sorry. Now, if the valve is screwed onto a piece of threaded pipe, you're repair will be rather simple. IF is is glued to PVC, then you may have a problem if you don't have enough PVC stubbed out from the wall to cut any off. I doubt that your home was built with any other hot water shut-off other than the one which should be on your water heater. This one will usually be on the cold water side piping. At this point you will need to determine which type valve you need for the piping you have, shut off the water heater, then shut off the water supply to your water heater, drain off residual pressure, and do the repair(s). Good Luck, David

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote