DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Hot water recirculating system (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/hot-water-recirculating-system-155526/)

Greg Wright 09-01-2012 09:15 PM

Hot water recirculating system
 
I recently have repiped our whole house using a professional plumber. The hot water recirclating loop is working perfect as long as the pump is running. When the pump is not working for a while we can only get the water temp up to a "luke warm". When I turn the pump back on----- it is almost instantly hot. Very wierd and I nor the plumber can figure this out. Help ???

Alan 09-01-2012 10:01 PM

Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?


:huh:

I'm confused at why you need a pump in the system, if you're intending to turn the pump off and have instant hot water everywhere.


:huh:

Javiles 09-01-2012 10:08 PM

Your getting a mix did he install a check valve in the system. or its piped in wrong.

TheEplumber 09-01-2012 10:15 PM

I second the mix. got a picture of the pump piping?

DannyT 09-01-2012 10:16 PM

like Javiles said you are getting a mix. with the pump off it is pulling water through the recirculating line most likely. if there is no check valve have your plumber install a spring check not a swing check.

Alan 09-01-2012 10:17 PM

Ah these beers got me reading half of a post and then making a decision. Good thing I don't drink on the job! :laughing::whistling2:


I would also agree that you are getting some sort of crossover.

A picture(s) of how the water heater is plumbed would help immensely.

Greg Wright 09-01-2012 10:31 PM

I will post a picture soon. First time user and I don't know exactly how to get a picture up. Soon......

TheEplumber 09-01-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Wright (Post 1001292)
I will post a picture soon. First time user and I don't know exactly how to get a picture up. Soon......

http://www.diychatroom.com/f98/how-r...m-here-110722/

TheEplumber 09-01-2012 10:41 PM

Better then a picture-- have your plumber join us here. :laughing:

Greg Wright 09-01-2012 11:10 PM

still working on the photo. I really want to figure this out. I looked at my set up and the plumber as routed the return loop horizontally through the cold water feed on the top of the tank. thr is a check valve on the cold line but no check valve on the hot return. I think that thr should be because when the pump is not pulling----I think that then the hot water is getting partially pulled back through the hot return.

Greg Wright 09-01-2012 11:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The picture of my plumbing is attached below the yellow valve with pump and timer is the hot water loop feeding back into my cold water at the top of the tank

Alan 09-01-2012 11:52 PM

Looks like too many pipes to me.


Please elaborate : the 1/2" line in the back going vertically with the paint on it : What does that go to?

Also : Where is the flex line in the foreground going? W/H inlet?
Nevermind all that ... he's missing a check valve on the outlet of the pump.

Tell him I want a cut......

TheEplumber 09-01-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan (Post 1001351)
Looks like too many pipes to me.


Please elaborate : the 1/2" line in the back going vertically with the paint on it : What does that go to?

Also : Where is the flex line in the foreground going? W/H inlet?
Nevermind all that ... he's missing a check valve on the outlet of the pump.

Tell him I want a cut......

Allen's right :thumbsup:Colds back feeding the recirc line.

Greg Wright 09-02-2012 12:09 AM

the flex line in the foreground is the electrical conduit running from the box to the tank. The 1/2 recirc line with the yellow shut off valve handle needs a spring valve installed after the pump. It makes sense. Not sure why my plumber didn't get that. He certainly has had lots of experience. Thanks for your help.

greg

TheEplumber 09-02-2012 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Wright (Post 1001358)
the flex line in the foreground is the electrical conduit running from the box to the tank. The 1/2 recirc line with the yellow shut off valve handle needs a spring valve installed after the pump. It makes sense. Not sure why my plumber didn't get that. He certainly has had lots of experience. Thanks for your help.

greg

He might have thought the valve was part of the pump, some are available that way.
In the mean time, you can close the yellow valve to stop the back feed-turn the pump off too.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 PM.