Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hot water pulses in shower

I have a shower fixture with hot and cold water valves, which were recently replaced, handles and stems. After about 15-20 seconds there is what I can best explain as a pulse or shutter, followed by very hot water. You then must adjust the cold water again to find a balance. What could be some problems? Thank you.

da11en47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 526

City water or well water?
City water could be the pressure regulator either in need of repair or replacement.
Well water could be the pressure tank is low on air pressure or that the bladder is bad and the whole thing needs to be replace.

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #3

City water, its only happening in one shower, nowhere else.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by da11en47 View Post
I have a shower fixture with hot and cold water valves, which were recently replaced, handles and stems. After about 15-20 seconds there is what I can best explain as a pulse or shutter, followed by very hot water. You then must adjust the cold water again to find a balance. What could be some problems? Thank you.
If the problem just started after replacing hot and cold cartridges, I would start there. Try taking them apart and reinstall them again. May just be something simple like not seated correctly, defective or wrong cartdrige, etc.

Of course there could be other problems. Just a suggestion, I would take a few extra minutes, start there first, rule that out, and go from there. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 07-07-2013 at 11:23 AM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #5

Is the only main difference between hot and cold valves the way they turn?

I took out and reinstalled the cold water stem, and the shutter or pulse from in the wall was gone, but the tenants still need to try it out to make sure.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by da11en47 View Post
Is the only main difference between hot and cold valves the way they turn?

I took out and reinstalled the cold water stem, and the shutter or pulse from in the wall was gone, but the tenants still need to try it out to make sure.
Correct. Hot and cold stems are essentially the same except that they turn opposite directions to shut off. Most Hot stems turn to the LEFT (counter-clockwise) to close and most Cold stems turn to the RIGHT (clockwise) to close. When the shape of the faucet handle is round, square or cross, both the hot and cold stems normally turn in the same direction. Usually, when you look at the threads on the stem, the direction they slant is the side of the faucet they belong on.

Some stems have an indication of which side they belong on imprinted on them. In other cases the indication is a notch on the stem gland. The code is no notch = Hot, one notch = Cold, two notches = use for both HOT and COLD.

Some faucets do use the same cartridge for both hot&cold. They are usually marked right on the package as either universal (same) or hot&cold (seperately), or as stated above. Depends on type & make of faucet.

Glad everything worked out for you. Good job. I hope your problem is solved when it's tenant tested.

If you are still concerned about the pulsing, still having problems, etc., you can do a quick google search of your faucet and find out for sure about your stems, or go directly to the manufacturers website. Just a suggestion, if it's a moen, they usually will replace the cartdriges for free. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 07-07-2013 at 08:48 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote