Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:49 PM   #1

Share |

Hot water problem?

Okay so my wife just asked about the cost of a tankless hot water heater... In other words after a shower not a long one either she was out of hot water. So I went and took a look at the hot water heater and noticed that there was water on the top. The first pic looks like paint bubbling but that is water drops. And the it looks corroded around the other fittings. The heater is heating water currently So do I need a new water heater?
Attached Thumbnails
Hot water problem?-image-2159627614.jpg   Hot water problem?-image-713431827.jpg  

redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:54 AM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Hot water problem?

It looks in pretty rough shape. Can you post some better pics of it. Thanks. Could have issues, like cracked or deteriorated dip tube, etc. How old is it? Ever been serviced? Make and model?

jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 06:35 AM   #3

Hot water problem?

The only date I could find on it was on the energy efficiency yellow tag say the data is based on 1998 data. And I don't know when It was serviced last
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
DIY staff

Hot water problem?

Tankless heaters have improved a lot in recent years---however,the instalation costs are high---new vents need to be run---water and gas lines must be reconfigured--

So check on the install cost---if you will be doing this yourself---you will have a lot of questions---consider Navien---high end units but dependable ---
Old 01-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #5

Hot water problem?

There are electric tankless heaters, but there was only 1 brand I found when I looked into it that might be "serious" enough, but even then I wouldn't trust electric over gas to heat enough.

I have a Noritz and love it. There used to be federal tax incentives to install one - I believe I got a $1,200 tax credit. Without that, there will be initial pain for the installation cost. But you will never run out of hot water, you will never need to do maintenance on your tank, and there is no tank to wear out.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
Retired Army Veteran

Hot water problem?

I agree with you, at over 16 years old, it would be wise to start looking for another one soon.

You can also google tankless vs tank so you are better informed to make a decision. As mentioned there are a lot of incentives from government and utility companies. You'll have to do the math and see which is right for you. Myself, I still like the old tank for now.

Last edited by jmon; 01-18-2014 at 10:09 AM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote