Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2007, 05:14 PM   #1

Share |

Hot water problem

I have two single lever Delta faucets in my bathroom that have stopped delivering hot water. Is the problem with the cartridge? I can't think of anything else.

gordon56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:03 PM   #2

Hot water problem

its highly unlikely that both faucet cartridges failed at the same time. Or there may be a blockage. How was the flow from these faucets compared to the cold water faucets, before they failed? Check the basement for a hotwater shutoff that may have been closed. Did you do some plumbing work and are you new at it?

rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:15 PM   #3

Hot water problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan392 View Post
its highly unlikely that both faucet cartridges failed at the same time. Or there may be a blockage. How was the flow from these faucets compared to the cold water faucets, before they failed? Check the basement for a hotwater shutoff that may have been closed. Did you do some plumbing work and are you new at it?
No new plumbing work and the flow was and is the same. This is an older house (70's) and thought that maybe the cartridges coincidentally may have failed as I can't think of any other cause. Also, there is no basement.
gordon56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 AM   #4

Hot water problem

<I have two single lever Delta faucets in my bathroom that have stopped delivering hot water>

<No new plumbing work and the flow was and is the same> ????????

You went from no flow to "was and is the same". Now which is it?
1. Bathroom faucet hot water; none or slow flow?
2. Bathroom faucet cold water; How is the flow? Is it weak?
3. How is the hotwater flow to the shower or tub faucet? Is it weak?
4. Do all cold water taps in the bathroom have a much higher pressure then the hot?
5. Did this problem suddenly occur or did you notice a slower delivery of hot water over time?
6. How is the flow of water both hot and cold at other faucets in the house and also outside?
Its possible both cartridges failed but I am looking at a failure in something installed on the hot water side or you have blockage somewhere.
Look for and check all emergency hot water shutoffs; starting with inside of your cabinets in bathroom. They should all be opened fully counterclockwise.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #5

Hot water problem

let me see if I understand correctly . You have two single lever faucets in one bathroom,,,in two seperate sinks??

Sounds like you have a restriction in your pipe. Do you have flaking inside the pipes?? What kind of pipe,pvc,copper,iron??? IF no basement where does the water run,,,under a cement floor or over the top of the walls?? Sounds like a restricted pipe to ME!!! Maybe grown together IF its old and corroded. Take a pipe off under the sink and check flow??? UNLESS some banging occured and it sloughed off enough to plug both caritages!!
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:42 AM   #6
Long-Time DIYer

Hot water problem

Sounds like you may have either corrosion or loose flake restrictions in the hot water shut-off valve or the hot water side of the faucet bodies or in both.
A single-handle Delta most likely has a ball with seats-and-springs (not a cartridge), and the hot water side on both faucets could be blocked from debris (diptube? scale?) from your water heater (most likely) or hot water line (possibly).
I would turn the water off and remove handles from any sink hot water shut-off valves, wrap a towel around them and have someone open the water very briefly to flush out any loose scale. If that doesn't do it, dismantle the faucets themselves (water off), put a towel over the sink faucet (no need for tub) and briefly turn the water on to flush the faucet bodies.
While you have the shut-off valves and faucet bodies dismantled, check the washers on the valves and the rubber seats-and-springs in the faucets, and replace them all unless they're relatively new. They're inexpensive. I use Delta repair parts only, as some of that generic stuff doesn't work as well.
Good luck!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 09-20-2007 at 02:44 AM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote