DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Hot water pressure comes and goes

5K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  jmon 
#1 ·
Hot water pressure comes and goes. I've drained the tank to clean calcium out, checked outgoing tubing for in blockage, pressure out of the tank(Drain) is 42psi. What could cause this anomaly?

#3 ·
I guess I should elaborate more.

On city water.
Entire house affected with low hot water pressure for 2 days and just this morning it was working just fine.
No recent plumbing.
Pressure at the outside water house is 58psi. ( just stipulated the outflow of the HWH to signify pressure is adequate on the HWH.

Thanks!!

#2 · (Edited)
Could be a couple of things. Partial blockage somewhere, bad pressure reducing valve if there is one. If you are on well, something wrong with pump/tank, etc. Just some thoughts. Have to investigate a little further.

Are you on well or city? Is the entire house affected or just a specific area? How long has this been going on? Any recent plumbing? Thanks.

Check the incoming water pressure at a cold water hose bib, like in the laundry room, outside etc., not at the drain of the hwh tank. Post results. Thanks.

Others will be along with more suggestions/advice.

#9 ·
How about the dielectic nipples on the tank that bens plumbing and eplumber spoke about. Mainly the hot water side feeding the house.

Sometimes the nipples have a rubber heat trap installed from manufacturer. It's suppose to save money/energy, etc. Idk. However, over time and depending on your water, they may cause problems down the road like chatter, partial clogging, deteriorate, etc. Some plumbers just pop them out before they install the dielectic nipple. Just a suggestion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.