Hot Water Pressure In All Faucets Trickle - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

hot water pressure in all faucets trickle

HELP!!--- i have a gas water heater, no hot water pressure to any of my faucets, I have flushed the water heater, no problem, but did not help, checked all faucet aerators - nothing in them, crawled under my house to see if i could see any leaks in the hot water lines - all dry - I am at my wits end here....i dont have much money and dont know what else to try. I have the town water dept. coming by after work to make sure its nothing on there end--kinda sure its not cause my cold water pressure is wonderful. I checked all water shut off valves and all are open to the max -- my lines are copper and all the same size too. what other ideas do any of you have for me that i may try myself....before i have to call a plumber in -- would it be a problem with the tank itself - the water temp. is fine and not even turned up to the max.... HELP!!!

Advertisement

mrstmeadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

check the shut off valve to the tank. an old gate valve can get stripped out and remain mostly closed. does the handle spin and spin and spin without stopping when you try to open it?

Advertisement

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:10 PM   #3

the only shut off i see is the one attached to the cold water line that comes into the heater - is this what you are referring to???
Old 08-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #4

yes that valve controls flow to all hot outlets
Old 08-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #5

yes - i had to shut it off to drain the tank, so i think that valve is all good - any other ideas????
Old 08-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstmeadows View Post
yes - i had to shut it off to drain the tank, so i think that valve is all good - any other ideas????
but are you sure the valve reopened? what kind of valve is it?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #7

yes i am sure - it is the lever type - not the type you turn and turn. I drained the tank about a week ago and have been "dealing" with no hot water pressure for the last week - the reason I drained the tank was someone suggested i may have sediment in the tank causing my pressure to become low, but draining it did not do any good either. I did not get to see if anything came out because i drained it into the grass, after it was completely drained i filled back up a little and drained that too......
Old 08-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #8

ok ball valves are good. a problem with all hot water indicates something near the source (the tank). The next thing I would check is heat trap nipples, which have a little piece of rubber in them to act as a mini check valve, or you can loop the hot and cold water lines together to make sure it's not a problem with the tank. Otherwise, start taking faucets apart to make sure there isn't any junk in them or start ripping out piping on the outlet side of the tank
Old 08-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,048

With all faucets closed and the main water feed and water heater feed open, how good is the flow from the water heater bottom drain valve?

Note for those eavesdropping and trying this -- Turn off the water heater heating before more than five gallons get drained out. (For gas heaters turn the small knob from run to pilot) Do not turn on the heater until enough water has refilled the tank that water is coming out of hot water faucets.

Advertisement