Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hot Water Pipe Issue

I am concerned about the source of an odor in my bedroom. I have a hot water pipe running under the floor and it heats up to the point that the carpet gets hot spots. When the room is closed up there is a definite odor and there seems to be a high level of humidity in the room as I go through a Damp Rid twice as fast in the bedroom as I do in the downstairs next to the bathroom with a shower. I am concerned as to whether or not this could pose health problems or any type of risk?
The building I live in was very cheaply constructed in 2001 and about half of the units have had water intrusion, some via the pipe I am referring to bursting as there is one water heater for several condos. I replaced the carpet and paint when I moved in two years ago so I can’t figure out what is causing the odor other than the pipes?

Alison99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hot Water Pipe Issue

The conditions you describe indicate the possibility of a pin hole leak in the pipe. Assuming you are not talking about in floor heating, pipes are usually not close enough to a floor to cause heating thru the floor material, but a hot water spray from a pin hole could. And excess moisture displays itself by humidity and odors.

If you have in floor heating, a hot spot could indicate coils that are close together, or it could be leak. Hot water heat does not cause humid or moist conditions, leaks do.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hot Water Pipe Issue

To investigate, you may need to pull up the carpeting. If you do not see moisture, then take a sheet of plastic about 4 feet square and tape it on all 4 sides to the floor where it is unusually warm or where you suspect a leak may be. Two days later if not more quickly, moisture under the plastic will confirm the leak.

If your apartment is "ground floor" with part of the walls below ground level, your apartment will likely be more humid than the upstairs apartments all of the time. Warm summer air against the not so warm walls (and also floor) leads to increased humidity if not some condensation.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-31-2010 at 07:12 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote