Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

hot water line leak

I have a hot water line leak under the slab. How do I turn off the hot water from the heater to the house?

mtkoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Water Treatment

hot water line leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkoning View Post
I have a hot water line leak under the slab. How do I turn off the hot water from the heater to the house?
Is there a valve either on the incoming or out going side of the water heater?

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:46 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 62

hot water line leak

Quote:

Is this a domestic hot water line. Or a radiant slab heating line?
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #4

hot water line leak

Quote:
not much info. Shut off the water to the house all togother. Now shut off the power or gas Off on the water heater . Now run a new line over head to the other hot outlet's .Now this is going to be a hard thing to do. Now you are going to have to run to each hot water fixture. Or the water will go back to the open line where you cut it off at the hot side of the heater. That is a lot of work. But look's like that is your answare ? I didn't read and other post's . May be some other post's
del schisler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 16

hot water line leak

First turn the little knob from run to pilot (gas water heater). Or shut off the breaker (electric).

There should be a valve right above the heater that will kill the cold water into the heater.

Open hot faucets upstairs and drain two or three gallons from the valve at the bottom of the heater tank. This should get most of the water out of the pipes so it doesn't get all over you when you cut a pipe to make new connections and repairs.

Have water flowing from hot faucets before turning the heater back on.

My uncle had this problem and he had a plumber come in and string a new hot pipe from the water heater overhead to the kitchen etc. The plumber did have to drill through a brick wall. My uncle didn't realize there was a leak until he found that his electric bill was $400. higher one month (it was an electric water heater).

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-06-2010 at 07:27 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:37 AM   #6

hot water line leak

i need to replace a vavle on the line going to the hot water heater can i use a compression valve
morley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #7

hot water line leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by morley View Post
i need to replace a vavle on the line going to the hot water heater can i use a compression valve
they have new fitting's that require no soldering now. they are called shark bite . These are made for stuff like that. Box store's have them
del schisler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #8

hot water line leak

Running the plumbing through the attic willonly work in warmer climates or in 2 story houses. You may need to hire a leak detection company to find the leak exactly. Then you will know your options to repair it.

Last edited by beenthere; 10-28-2010 at 03:33 AM. Reason: removed link.
unitedleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 62

hot water line leak

United:

Only members that contribute DIY info/methods/help. May post a link to their business(preferably in their sig).

Since you are NOT helping with DIY info. Your link is not allowed. Please us the contact us tab at the top of the page. To purchase advertising. Thank you.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #10

hot water line leak

Do it yourself Leak Deteciton is why companies like our exist. I can tell do it yourself on either re-route or a spot slab repair, but you have to know where the leak is coming from first. In the Midwest (through Google) I already advertise on this page. I was trying to help out, and suggest advice for the gentleman to have a complete enough information set to do his own work. With out it,(and based on the posts so far) I think there is a good chance he will spend too much or not do the job correctly. My post is a best suggestion for him to work towards fixing his own problem without making the mistake of making a hole and not finding the leak or re-routing and not needing to. Thanks,

unitedleak is offline   Reply With Quote