Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #1

Share |

hot water issue!

i had a "new" gas hot water tank installed about 1.5 years ago. I say "new" because it was a tank the previous owner of the house left because they didnt get around to installing it. i have never seemed to have a lot of hot water, and usually its cold in the morning until you get the water flowing and then it would be good and hot. basically i would run a tap in the house for a minute or two then wait 20 minutes to take a shower. it is getting progressively worse and worse, this morning i took a shower 20 minutes after my wife and it was cold.

im not at all familiar with gas, i grew up with electric and would know where to look there but im clueless with a gas tank. is there any hope for a cheap repair or am i going to have to have a new one installed?

nvr2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

hot water issue!

Let's see If I'am understanding... Does it take a while for the hot water to reach certain area of the house or, once the hot water is there it doesn't last wery long ??

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #3

hot water issue!

no, it doesnt take a while to reach. if i take a shower in the morning i get about 5 minutes if that. if i run a faucet for a few minutes and then wait a half hour or so i can get a good shower. at least thats the way it was, its progressively getting worse. less and less hot water after waiting for the tank to recycle.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

hot water issue!

Ok what temp Is the thermostat seting ?? It could be set too low,, Could be that the dip tube wasn't installed or has broken off, Could be bad thermostat.. Use a thermometer & check hot water temp at the faucet
Old 03-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #5

hot water issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
Ok what temp Is the thermostat seting ?? It could be set too low,, Could be that the dip tube wasn't installed or has broken off, Could be bad thermostat.. Use a thermometer & check hot water temp at the faucet

its not the setting, i cranked that a while back thinking that may be the issue since that was the only thing i knew about gas heaters. how do i check the diptube? is there an easy way to see them or do i have to disconnect the water and pull it?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #6

hot water issue!

1. Is the heater correctly installed, namely the cold feed goes into the port marked cold and the hot pipe to the port marked hot?

2. Try this several times. First thing in the morning or just before your shower go downstairs and turn the water heater thermostat up two notches and slowly turn it back to where it was. Do you consistently get the heater to kick on and not go off as soon as you turn it back? Then wait 20 minutes. Do you get a good long hot shower? This could mean a slow acting thermostat sometimes aggravated by lime deposits inside the heater. This can sometimes be alleviated by choosing a higher temperature setting but I would not use the "very hot" region of the dial.

Electric heaters have two usually screwdriver adjustments for temperature, one under each access panel. Gas heaters have just the one big dial for temperature adjustments.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-19-2009 at 10:00 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #7

hot water issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
1. Is the heater correctly installed, namely the cold feed goes into the port marked cold and the hot pipe to the port marked hot?

2. Try this several times. First thing in the morning or just before your shower go downstairs and turn the water heater thermostat up two notches and slowly turn it back to where it was. Do you consistently get the heater to kick on and not go off as soon as you turn it back? Then wait 20 minutes. Do you get a good long hot shower? This could mean a slow acting thermostat sometimes aggravated by lime deposits inside the heater. This can sometimes be alleviated by choosing a higher temperature setting but I would not use the "very hot" region of the dial.

Electric heaters have two usually screwdriver adjustments for temperature, one under each access panel. Gas heaters have just the one big dial for temperature adjustments.

i havent looked, but i had my wifes friend who is a licensed plumber install it so im assuming its right since he does a couple a week. Im going to take a look at the tiptube since that seamed to match the initial symptoms, if thats not it i will play with the thermostat.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
HVAC / Plumbing

hot water issue!

I don't know how old your water heater is .. Several years ago all the manufactures had dip tube problems. It would just fall apart... Has this been going on since the wh was installed or, did it just start..If it has been like this .. Mabe the installer forgot to check for a dip tube b-4 the install... You will have to disconnect the cold water inlet to the wh & pull dip tube out