Hot Water Is Hot Everywhere But The Tub !help! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Hot water is hot everywhere but the tub !help!

Ok so ill try to make this as short as possible. I installed a new shower and tub, previous to that I couldn't fill my tub with hot water unless I filled it with the shower, if I used the faucet it would come out barely warm. Now I have replaced the copper tubbing valves etc. and neither the shower head or the faucet get hot unless I isolate the cold water than it comes out very hot. I tried cracking the cold water slowly and it goes from very hot to barely warm again. Any advice will help I have a oil boiler if that helps with the responses

Advertisement

Gooch9891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Bad valve cartridge if single handle unit. Post a picture of the tub faucet.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

This problem has been discussed a lot. You may want to search posts for no hot water. Are your other fixtures working properly? If they are, you probably have the anti-scald prevention feature set wrong on your fixture.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #4

Hot water is hot everywhere but the tub !help!-image.jpg
Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

No wonder why it is not working, someone attached it to the ceiling. Turn off the water, then pull the cartridge. Have someone turn back on the water for hot, if you have a shut off for the hot & cold somewhere that you can get to. Otherwise, you need to install shut offs, so that it makes it easier when working on the tub, without having to shut off the whole house water supply.

I am going for a cartridge that is either installed wrong, or wrong one to begin with.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #6

The cartridge is installed properly thankfully I noticed it was labeled tub and shower and during this little project I installed some isolation points but I'm going to look into the cartridge maybe defective but I won't rule out operator error yet haha thanks for the help I'll post my results. Thanks for the input
Old 03-23-2013, 04:52 AM   #7
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Rewards Points: 250

New tub and shower valve? Your hot limit is likely set incorrectly.

JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Roofmaster

There was a previous post where the whole fixture was installed sideways by a so called professional plumber. Remember that one Greg? the top of the retainer clip for the cartridge was oriented left, so hot in was coming through the shower out quadrant. Now, considering how this picture was posted................... Worth a check. Maybe the same "plumber?" His Brother? His Cousin?

Last edited by jagans; 03-23-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,626

If the rough-in valve is anything like mine....the shower and tub pipes are one and the same. The only difference is that the tub spout closes which forces water up the pipe to the shower head.

So, in terms of operation...the water head will be slightly higher when going out the shower head due to the pipe going up and the restriction of the head.

So....if you have hot water going out the head, but not the tub spout....then, yes, it points to the cartridge....

Side note....I have my water heater turned down so that on full hot, it can not scold the kids. When I was taking a shower, the water temp was just warm enough for me to enjoy it....and that was on full hot. Recently I had the valve apart for a different reason...and then I noticed this ring on it...with stops.....hmmmmmm....the ring was set so that I could not get full hot water....rotated it so I got full hot.....Oh Lord, hallelujah....Praise the Lord....we have HOT water.....yea baby....

Knowledge is power.....and gets me hot water.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
If the rough-in valve is anything like mine....the shower and tub pipes are one and the same. The only difference is that the tub spout closes which forces water up the pipe to the shower head.

So, in terms of operation...the water head will be slightly higher when going out the shower head due to the pipe going up and the restriction of the head.

So....if you have hot water going out the head, but not the tub spout....then, yes, it points to the cartridge....

Side note....I have my water heater turned down so that on full hot, it can not scold the kids. When I was taking a shower, the water temp was just warm enough for me to enjoy it....and that was on full hot. Recently I had the valve apart for a different reason...and then I noticed this ring on it...with stops.....hmmmmmm....the ring was set so that I could not get full hot water....rotated it so I got full hot.....Oh Lord, hallelujah....Praise the Lord....we have HOT water.....yea baby....

Knowledge is power.....and gets me hot water.
Your wife is supposed to scold the kids not your hot water

Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,626

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Your wife is supposed to scold the kids not your hot water
Naw...we just beat them with a wet noodle.....

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
help me please , hot water , oil burner , plumber , water pipe