Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2010, 05:31 AM   #1

Share |

Hot Water Heater Efficiency?

I have a 10 yr old 50 US gal GE conventional gas water heater, still under warranty and a drain water recovery unit,both working exceptionally well.
My 3 kids take long showers every morning and we used approx 42 Cubic Meters of water per 2 months in an area with VERY hard water.I am reluctant to go tankless due to hard water failure stories I have heard locally.
I am now considering upgrading to hybrid gas, or at least 82% efficiency conventional gas since I will have very limited access for vetilation space for a High Efficiency gas new heater and a 2 yr old chimney liner I would prefer to continue using
How efficient is hybrid gas versus my conventional which I am told is only about 50% efficient and is there a good selection in Canada or will I need to import 1.
I have heard from an installer last year that conventional still has the best overall lifespan, is this true and if so what lifespan might it be compared to the new technology in gas/hybrid units.

Last edited by Chemist1961; 12-11-2010 at 05:42 AM. Reason: error in display , unfinished
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:37 AM   #2

CONTINUED, sorry can some one slice these together.

How much more efficient is a new conventional gas unit, versus a 10 yr old one.

Who makes Hybrid gas units and are they available in Canada.

I have heard conventional has the longest lifespan, how does the design of hybrid appear for reliability versus conventional. Looking for any installer and user feedback please

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #3

Can't say for what is available in Canada, but basic water heaters down hear are all generally the same. There are higher efficiency units available, such as heat pump types that are supposed to be very efficient, but also costly.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote