Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hot water heater - direct vent v. power vent in basement

I have a rheem power vent LP hot water heater in my basement along an outside wall. The vent goes up about 2' then 1.5' to the outside wall in 4" PVC.

Can I install a direct vent LP hot water heater instead of a power vent? Everything that I've read about direct vent says it just has to be within 4 ft of an outside wall.

HELP!

Can I install a direct vent water in my basement? What should I be aware of when installing direct vent?

2 threads on same issue merged

alty79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

direct vent will cost the same or a little bit more than a PV, you have to run either a second intake line or a larger concentric vent (exhaust and intake on one pipe), needs to be away from doors, windows, patios as well. PV gives much more options for venting, plus its already set up for it. I'd just replace w/ a similar unit

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the replay I appreciate it. The rheem just started to weep a little bit so i am trying to decide what i want to do.

What kind would you recommend?

Also, would I notice the difference from switching to a 40 gal vs the 50 gal, since LP hwh recover quicker than electric ones?
alty79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I'm a big fan of Bradford White tanks, I've had problems with Ruud (Rheem) and their gas valves. Don't buy American WH's which is what Lowes tanks are. Too many recalls in recent years. Size depends on usage and size of house. Teenage girls= larger tank, so does jetted tub in the master bath. Don't put in a 40 if you have more than 2 bathrooms, it might be enough for you but if you sell it might not be enough for the next family. 50's aren't much more $$ than 40's, and don't cost that much more to run
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, direct vent, hot water heater, power vent, propane