Hot Water Heater Blowing Fuse - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Hot water heater blowing fuse


My new electric hot water heater is blowing a 30 amp fuse in a random pattern every 2-4 weeks. What could be causing this? Bad Element?

Advertisement

Cattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer
 
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: On Albemarle Sound In Northeastern NC
Posts: 1,460
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Hot water heater blowing fuse


New water heater? Could be nothing more than a loose wire.
Cut the power and check all wiring. If that doesn't stop it, disconnect the wires on the elements and check them with an ohm meter for resistance. No resistance, probably a bad element. Replace it.
If THAT doesn't do it, replace the tstats with tstats with the exact same layout and number of screws. (Doesn't have to be same brand.) Exchange the wires from the old to the new tstats one at a time. Can't go wrong like that.
The parts should be under warranty.
Good Luck!
Mike

Advertisement

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,762
Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

Hot water heater blowing fuse


Could be a number of things listed above. Most common for a bad t-stat is for the t-stat to not be touching the tank, therefore not reading the proper temperature, and the elements are pulling more juice to get the water much much hotter than it needs to be. You would notice really hot water in this scenario.

Obviously also leaks can cause shorts and blown breakers. If you pull the covers and see any signs of wetness it may be time for a new heater.
__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 132
Rewards Points: 77
Default

Hot water heater blowing fuse


Is it blowing a fuse or tripping the circuit breaker? If it's the circuit breaker and it's old it may have gone "soft" and should be replaced to stop the nuisance tripping.
kb3ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 20
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Hot water heater blowing fuse


I have a double pole 30 amp breaker that feeds to a double 30 amp fuse shutoff box that is located adjacent to the heater in the basement. It is one of these 30 amp screw in fuses that is blowing. THe previous heater has zero problems blowing fuses or the breaker.
Cattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
Household Handyman
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, Ga.
Posts: 2,301
Rewards Points: 1,054
Default

Hot water heater blowing fuse


"New" water heater. The old one worked fine, until-- The new heater may have elements rated higher than the old one, this drawing more amps. You have a 30-amp double pole breaker feeding a box with two 30-amp screw-in fuses? You may want to have an electrician look at/rate your wiring to see if you might by-pass the fuses and use only the breaker set-up. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PENNSYLVANIA
Posts: 2,259
Rewards Points: 1,046
Default

Hot water heater blowing fuse


I agree with Thurman, I would have the wiring checked and if its the proper size and condition I would eliminate the two 30 amp fuses they are just a nuisance.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Hot water heater blowing fuse


New guy here. I've been reading your posts, thanks for helping out your fellow DIYers!

I had a thermostat that fried itself and took the upper element with it. Prior to that, the fuse (on the tank, not the breaker on the house) would pop occasionally, maybe half-dozen times in the life of its six years, usually around the time of the first cold-snap of the season.

I replaced the thermostat along with the element and a wire that that melted (all with the guidance of my master-certified-plumber neighbor). Now the fuse pops every day. I reset it, it makes a tank of hot water, we shower, the next day I reset the fuse, rinse-wash-repeat...

I replaced the thermostat with another one, and it does the same thing. I saw the post about the thermostat not being flush with the tank and made sure it was tight up against it -- we have the similar symptoms of the water being very hot after resetting it -- before popping again. I also confirmed the wiring diagram is correct and that they're tight. I know I got the right element for the wattage.

I called an electrician that said he could come and check the wires for voltage, and charge me a service call, but otherwise said there's not much he could do. I thanked him for being honest...

Any other ideas? Could the element be sort-of-bad? (working, but drawing too much juice?)

Thanks! Mike

Last edited by mykol_j; 01-20-2012 at 11:58 AM.
mykol_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
MarginallyQualified
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 3,820
Rewards Points: 2,314
Default

Hot water heater blowing fuse


Quote:
Originally Posted by mykol_j View Post
I had a thermostat that fried itself and took the upper element with it. Prior to that, the fuse (on the tank, not the breaker on the house) would pop occasionally, maybe half-dozen times in the life of its six years, usually around the time of the first cold-snap of the season. ... Any other ideas?
Has that tank EVER been flushed?
What sort of water quality do you have? Hard? On a well?

I haven't viewed these and not saying it's the problem... but it's a start:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkAnB...eature=related

ps: you can start your own threads and should with a new question like this.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Hot water heater blowing fuse


Are you using time delayed fuses?
You should be using 10-2 w G
Check all your connections.
I am sure the Fuse box is there because it is not in line of sight of the main panel.
I am not sure that you need a fuse or a switch can be used.
The new heater may be pulling higher amps on start up and weaken the fuses and then they blow.

I have an electrical water heater in the barn up north. Sitting right next to the well pump. Both are on 30 amp breakers. The water heater disconnect is breaker located near the heater. The well pump is on a switch. There is no reason other then that is how I wired it. They were wired at different times over a year or so, both passed final inspection.
My air compressor is located about 10’ from the main panel it is on a 30 amp breaker, it has a double pole 30 amp rated switch to turn off power, when not in use. I am sure a master electrician will post weather you can do away with the fuse block.

My postings are for discussion purpose only and should be verified by another independent source.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Hot water heater blowing fuse


Should I have started a new thread?

Oh well,
to answer Tarheel:
No it hasn't been flushed -- water is hard, on a well, but it's on a water softener -- been since day 1. I had to empty it to replace the element and no deposits came out (I know it's not the same as flushing it). I guess it's worth a try. I can kinda see how deposits on sides could interfere with a temperature reading, but the tank is only six years old.

Hardway:
I don't really know what you're talking about. It's on a standard 30 amp breaker on the house, it's the only thing on that breaker. Time delayed? No, nothing non-standard. The fuse (maybe it's the wrong term) I'm talking about is the red reset switch in the thermostat (http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/El...Hot_Water4.htm) -- again, standard -- as far as I know you'd have to go out of your way to deviate from that hardware...

I've checked and rechecked the connections. I even re-did them 100% when I installed a second thermostat.

Sorry if this should have been on a different thread, but I thought it was related...
mykol_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Hot water heater blowing fuse


Quote:
Originally Posted by mykol_j View Post
Should I have started a new thread?

Oh well,
to answer Tarheel:
No it hasn't been flushed -- water is hard, on a well, but it's on a water softener -- been since day 1. I had to empty it to replace the element and no deposits came out (I know it's not the same as flushing it). I guess it's worth a try. I can kinda see how deposits on sides could interfere with a temperature reading, but the tank is only six years old.

Hardway:
I don't really know what you're talking about. It's on a standard 30 amp breaker on the house, it's the only thing on that breaker. Time delayed? No, nothing non-standard. The fuse (maybe it's the wrong term) I'm talking about is the red reset switch in the thermostat (http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/El...Hot_Water4.htm) -- again, standard -- as far as I know you'd have to go out of your way to deviate from that hardware...

I've checked and rechecked the connections. I even re-did them 100% when I installed a second thermostat.

Sorry if this should have been on a different thread, but I thought it was related...
My new electric hot water heater is blowing a 30 amp fuse in a random pattern every 2-4 weeks. What could be causing this? Bad Element?

Hardway:
I don't really know what you're talking about. It's on a standard 30 amp breaker on the house, it's the only thing on that breaker. Time delayed? No, nothing non-standard. The fuse (maybe it's the wrong term) I'm talking about is the red reset switch in the thermostat (http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Electric_Hot_Water4.htm) -- again, standard -- as far as I know you'd have to go out of your way to deviate from that hardware...


“Hardway:
I don't really know what you're talking about.”
mykol_j nor should you, you jumped in the middle of a thread that is about a new water, not a 6 year old heater.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 843
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Hot water heater blowing fuse


Quote:
Originally Posted by mykol_j View Post
New guy here. I've been reading your posts, thanks for helping out your fellow DIYers!

I had a thermostat that fried itself and took the upper element with it. Prior to that, the fuse (on the tank, not the breaker on the house) would pop occasionally, maybe half-dozen times in the life of its six years, usually around the time of the first cold-snap of the season.

I replaced the thermostat along with the element and a wire that that melted (all with the guidance of my master-certified-plumber neighbor). Now the fuse pops every day. I reset it, it makes a tank of hot water, we shower, the next day I reset the fuse, rinse-wash-repeat...

I replaced the thermostat with another one, and it does the same thing. I saw the post about the thermostat not being flush with the tank and made sure it was tight up against it -- we have the similar symptoms of the water being very hot after resetting it -- before popping again. I also confirmed the wiring diagram is correct and that they're tight. I know I got the right element for the wattage.

I called an electrician that said he could come and check the wires for voltage, and charge me a service call, but otherwise said there's not much he could do. I thanked him for being honest...

Any other ideas? Could the element be sort-of-bad? (working, but drawing too much juice?)

Thanks! Mike
mykol_j aka Mike

The red button reset button or, high limit known as the Energy Cut Off or, ECO

Rather then try and explain in bits and pieces, read the following link. Post after reading if you need anymore help, or how you make out.

http://411plumb.com/electric-water-h...shooting-guide

Hardway
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
Member
 
biggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,630
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Hot water heater blowing fuse


it's the new heater and the old screw ins go to a 35A fuse if you can or remove the screw ins and bring the T wires up to the Ls from the breaker within the disconnect next to the heater or replace with a non fused disconnect.the cycling of the unit element is taking out the one fuse.if it was a basd element it would always short or do both...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
MarginallyQualified
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 3,820
Rewards Points: 2,314
Default

Hot water heater blowing fuse


Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
it's the new heater and the old screw ins go to a 35A fuse if you can or remove the screw ins and bring the T wires up to the Ls from the breaker within the disconnect next to the heater or replace with a non fused disconnect.the cycling of the unit element is taking out the one fuse.if it was a basd element it would always short or do both...
can you say that in english?

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water heater pressure relief valve confusion Flt_Simulation Plumbing 4 07-11-2009 11:02 AM
Water connections for new water heater diggerdave Plumbing 16 03-16-2009 11:36 AM
Water Heater tsmith Plumbing 10 12-01-2008 07:24 PM
Electric Water Heater Problem mw2727 Plumbing 4 08-21-2008 02:51 PM
I would like to relocate the flue for my gas water heater Git HVAC 12 04-23-2008 10:37 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts