Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #1

Share |

Hot Water Flow

Hello All,

I have a 40 gallon electric hot water heater. It feeds my master shower, which has two basic shower heads. The pressure was not good for the shower, so rather than upgrade both shower heads to the types that have multiple settings, I decided that I would first try taking out the water savers.

My first question is does anyone know about how much water I'm using now that I've removed those? The pressure is a lot better than it was, but I have no idea how much water I'm using now from a GPM standard. I think most shower heads are 2 or 2.5 GPM when those savers are in, but I have no idea when they are removed.

The second question I have is I understand that at 2.5 GPM, I would have about 16 minutes use of entirely hot water with one shower head or 8 minutes use of entirely hot water with two.

What I don't understand is what portion of the flow through the shower head for someone that takes fairly hot showers is hot and what portion is cold. I'm assuming that the 16 and 8 minute figures above would be if I had the water all the way on hot. Given the way I turn my water on and off, I can't really tell if it's 80% on, 90% on, etc., so I'm not sure how to measure the amount of hot water usage.

Given the flow is coming through hot and cold, how much can I add to the 16 and the 8 minute figures. Is there any way to know this?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Patrick

kcirtap23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #2

Hot Water Flow

1. Fill a bucket from the shower head for 1 minute. How many gallons are in the bucket?
2. Take a shower until you run out of hw. How long does it take?
Pretty simple

Sent from my DROID2 using DIY Chatroom

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-10-2012)