Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2008, 11:29 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Hot water faucet pipe thumps then flow slows down.

Hi,

I got my hot water heater replaced a year ago. Just lately my 2nd floor bath sink faucet pipe in the wall started thumping then the faucet flow slows down after the hot water is on for 30 seconds or so. After that the pipe thumps and the faucet flow slows down quicker if the flow is turned high and the water is already warm/hot. It sounds like the thumping is in the wall, probably before one of the angle joints a few feet before the pipe comes out of the wall.

The second floor bath tub doesn't thump at all but the flow did slow down after the hot water tank was first replaced. Since then its pressure has been reduced.

All the other faucets in the house Hot/Cold are fine, no pipes thumping or reduced water flow.

I believe that during or after the plumber replaced the tank some of the accumulated sentiment that had hardened on the wall of the pipes or in the old tank broke loose and made its way to the second floor pipes here it has gotten stuck.

Any ideas on how I can dissolve the mass?

Any ideas on what type of probe I should use to put down the hot water pipe?

Because it seams the mass got stuck befor the 90 degree joint in the wall before the faucet's flexible tubing, I don't believe that removing the tubing and flushing the pipes would work.

I think it would also be hard to put a snake down the pipe because of the pipes diameter and the 90 degree joints.

Do you agree with me or not?

Do you have any Suggestions?

What process would you suggest I try, easiest to hardest and/or less to more expensive?

Thanks,

Indy...

DIY-Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
Journeyman Plumber

Sounds like a washer is loose in either the hot side of the faucet or in the hot side of the shut off valve.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #3

Thanks! So I need to remove everything after the shutoff valve, the flexible supply host and stem, then make sure there isn't anything clogging it or loose?
Old 03-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #4

its wierd that it went up to the second floor hot water only...how about draining the HWH from the bottom valve on it,and leave the hose on the drain off valve vent all the hot water faucets in the hose.at the problem sink somehow take a line from the cold water shutoff and connect it to the hot water shutoff...open the cold and with that pressure flush the hot water riser to the second floor back down into the HWH and the runoff hose out of the bottom of the tank.to flush the tub hot water line....cap the shower head line open up the cold,and then the hot to flush it down also to the HWH.when done give the shower head pipe and tub fill a good run.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #5

As Ron said - check the faucet first and then the valve for loose or broken washers. If not - I could see a stone or even a chunk of solder inside the line which moves up to the 90 before the valve inside the wall. if that is the case, then you would have to get into the wall and cut the line , then remove the debris and then re connect the pipes and then repair drywall etc. where you gained the access to the pipe. Good Luck.
hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
I blame ProWallGuy

Check the washers, make sure they are in good shape and tight. These cause most of the complaints of thumping and hammering while water is in use.

As for the debris, I tend to doubt it. It might get carried up there by flow, but it would make its way to the first real restriction and get stuck there. If that is an elbow on the second floor, its just gonna fall back down again or make the turn and not be stuck. Shutting the water off when its hot for a minute or two then turning it back on should delay the onset of thumping if it didn't make the first turn.
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #7

Hi,

I appreciate everyones feedback... Keep it coming.

I'm hoping to work on it this weekend. I'll let you know how things progress.

Before the 1st thump, the water from the hot water faucet runs fine with good pressure for about (30 sec) until it heats up. After I turn off and on the water and the water is warm-hot, the water runs fine with good pressure for only about (5-10 sec) then I get another thump and I loose pressure again.

Before a thump the pressure is OK, after a thump the pressure is reduced if I leave the hot water running.

Thanks again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double A View Post
Check the washers, make sure they are in good shape and tight. These cause most of the complaints of thumping and hammering while water is in use.

As for the debris, I tend to doubt it. It might get carried up there by flow, but it would make its way to the first real restriction and get stuck there. If that is an elbow on the second floor, its just gonna fall back down again or make the turn and not be stuck. Shutting the water off when its hot for a minute or two then turning it back on should delay the onset of thumping if it didn't make the first turn.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:10 AM   #8
I blame ProWallGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY-Indy View Post
Hi,

Before the 1st thump, the water from the hot water faucet runs fine with good pressure for about (30 sec) until it heats up. After I turn off and on the water and the water is warm-hot, the water runs fine with good pressure for only about (5-10 sec) then I get another thump and I loose pressure again.

Before a thump the pressure is OK, after a thump the pressure is reduced if I leave the hot water running.

Thanks again...
Yuppers, this is really sounding like a bibb washer.
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #9

Whatever happened? I have similar problems. Basement shower head lost significant pressure about a week after water heater installation. The sink and toilet seem to be fine. The basement bathroom was brand new installation from 2006. The upstairs bathtub has lost pressure as well on the faucet but not the shower head. Confusing.

The basement shower head did have some white stuff coming out of it shortly after the lost pressure issue started.

Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY-Indy View Post
Hi,

I appreciate everyones feedback... Keep it coming.

I'm hoping to work on it this weekend. I'll let you know how things progress.

Thanks again...
ricoscoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #10

Correction, both my upstairs shower head and bathtub faucet have lost power. I removed the showerhead downstairs and found 2 of the 3 inlet holes plugged with some heavy duty mineral rocks. After removing, the basement shower head works great like before. Upstairs, I removed the shower head but found nothing. I have not yet disassembled the bathtub faucet to check it out, I hope all the gunk is in that unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoscoro View Post
Whatever happened? I have similar problems. Basement shower head lost significant pressure about a week after water heater installation. The sink and toilet seem to be fine. The basement bathroom was brand new installation from 2006. The upstairs bathtub has lost pressure as well on the faucet but not the shower head. Confusing.

The basement shower head did have some white stuff coming out of it shortly after the lost pressure issue started.

Any suggestions?

ricoscoro is offline   Reply With Quote