Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

Hot Water doesn't last as long as it used to.

Our house was built in 2000 and it has the original hot water heater still. Lately it doesn't seem like the hot water is lasting very long. We have a 75 gallon heater and it goes cool before our 50 gallon soaking tub is even half full.

We seem to have enough for showers, although within the last 6 months I've had to inch up the thermostat a few times to keep the water at a normal temp. Right now if the dial is on the "normal" setting the water is only luke warm. Its about 2 notches forward currently.

I tried flushing it out into our Sump since its in the basement but it looked pretty clear from what I could see. I also noticed an old water spot on the concrete about 2 inches in diameter under the pressure release pipe.

Is this a sign of it maybe needing replacing soon? If so, since its 75 gallon and they aren't much more expensive then tankless water heaters, is it worth the switch?? Or should we get a direct replacement?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by adgjqetuo; 01-28-2012 at 09:15 PM.
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Just had same with 2002 hwh. Bad thermostat on one element. Replaced both thermostats and both elements.

ranger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

Sounds like the thermocouple that extends into the tank off the gas valve has some calicum build up.

You can drain the tank, remove the gas valve and clean it or simply replace the gas valve. If it is a gas water heater.

If it's electric you may have a bad element.

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgjqetuo View Post
Our house was built in 2000 and it has the original hot water heater still. Lately it doesn't seem like the hot water is lasting very long. We have a 75 gallon heater and it goes cool before our 50 gallon soaking tub is even half full.

We seem to have enough for showers, although within the last 6 months I've had to inch up the thermostat a few times to keep the water at a normal temp. Right now if the dial is on the "normal" setting the water is only luke warm. Its about 2 notches forward currently.

I tried flushing it out into our Sump since its in the basement but it looked pretty clear from what I could see. I also noticed an old water spot on the concrete about 2 inches in diameter under the pressure release pipe.

Is this a sign of it maybe needing replacing soon? If so, since its 75 gallon and they aren't much more expensive then tankless water heaters, is it worth the switch?? Or should we get a direct replacement?

Thanks in advance
A tankless model is roughly about the same price as a 75 gal, but the install for that tankless along with the heater itself could reach $3k.

Maybe you should consider a 98 gal tank with high recovery.

http://www.hotwater.com/water-heater...high-recovery/
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'm sorry....I didn't see the part that says gas or electric. If it's electric one of the elements isn't working, either bad element or thermostat issue. Sediment build up can often reach the lower element and cause it to fail.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 252

Thanks, it is gas.

How expensive are those repairs you mentioned? Is it worth fixing a 13 year old HWH?
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

If you have the room you might change out to two 40 gl water heaters (Better Warranty) or better yet go tankless. Never ending hot water.

But with a tankless keep in mind that once a year you need to flush it. It's in the manual but not many retailers tell you that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plumber101 For This Useful Post:
adgjqetuo (01-28-2012), plummen (01-28-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #8

13 years is a good life span for a water heater. The very best are usually warranteed for at most 12 years, while most are at 6. Take the opportunity to change it before it becomes a necessity. Tankless gas are OK, but the installation can be costly. Whatever you decide, get 3 quotes before doing anything.....unless you plan on doing it yourself. If you have never flushed it sediment has built up on the bottom making the flame less effective when it fires.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber101 View Post
But with a tankless keep in mind that once a year you need to flush it. It's in the manual but not many retailers tell you that.

This may be a stupid question, but what is it you flush on a tankless heater? If it doesn't store water why would it need flushing?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #10

Depending where you live water temps coming into tank can be cooler in winter months. This would cool the tank quicker. The thermocouple does not regulate temp only a safty device. Depending on demand and future use I would look into tankless. This only makes sense if it justify the exspense of a tankless. Most of those can be double or triple the cost of the 75 gallon. If you have kids and you plan on staying get one. If it's you and the wife and you plan on moving soon go with the cheaper investment. I try to educate all my customers and let them decide which is the best fit for them. Too bad all those good tax rebates are overwith. Good luck.
plumbbum0203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #11

Tankless have smaller tubing inside like a radiater on a car. These will clog like your heart artery after dinner at KFC
plumbbum0203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #12

I am of the opinion that unless you need a continuous supply of hot water a tankless water is overkill for almost all situations. And I would never install an electric tankless heater....they are energy hogs.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbbum0203 View Post
Tankless have smaller tubing inside like a radiater on a car. These will clog like your heart artery after dinner at KFC

I understand that. But isn't it flushed every time it is used?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
This may be a stupid question, but what is it you flush on a tankless heater? If it doesn't store water why would it need flushing?

The imperative still build up just like a tank WH. The heat exchanger on a tankless is small. I'm sure you know this. In areas where water hardness is great and no water softner is used the hardness will clog and I mean completely plug this little heat exchanger.

We use a mixture of distiled water and vinager.

The Sonic here will replace there tankless every year to two years because they won't pay someone to flush it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Plumber101 For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (01-28-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #15

Thanks for the expaination....now it makes sense to me. I wonder how many homeowners would do this, or even have it done. Seem like an additional cost which could affect a portion of the savings the tankless claim to provide.