Hot Water Cross Over - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2007, 08:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 528

Hot Water Cross Over

I heard that this can happen with those single lever faucets whereas hot water can cross over into the cold water line. I imagine that this would happen when one first changes o-rings or puts in a new stem of which one or both may not be the correct parts to use.
My water has been tasteing lousey from the tap and I would run the water for a minute before drinking it. I thought it was the result of our water deparment changing the filtration process or adding something to it. So finally I got around to changing the faucet to a double stem type and what a differance it made. Now it taste better. In addition, the water coming out of my refrigerator was even worse and I stopped drinking it, although I and others use the icecubes. Now that tastes better.

From what I learned about how this occurs is that the hot water side is at higher pressure and if given a chance by the use of improper fittings or o-rings, it will feed into the cold water side. This probally explains how hot water was able to reach into the supply line to my refrigerator given the water an off taste.

I thought of passing this on to those who may have noticed a change in the taste of their water.

Advertisement

rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hot Water Cross Over

Unless the temperature was very high on the water heater, the water pressure should be the same on both the hot and cold. Reason is, the cold water supply is what gives the hot water its pressure by pushing the hot out the top of the heater and into the hot supply line(s). I am wondering if you had some type of bacteria growing in the faucet that was affecting both hot and cold water taste. Glad you got the problem soved though.

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 528

Hot Water Cross Over

But when heated and at rest, does not a higher pressure exist in the hot water lines slightly above cold water pressure lines? If that is the case, then a defective stem or o-rings may allow a crossover into the cold water supply at the faucet ( if they are the wrong parts or worn) and continoue to mix into other areas of the cold water line until pressures are equalized. Correct?
I keep my water heater set at "A" with "D" being the highest setting. Although the water is hot enough for laundry, I do need to mix in some cold water to wash dishes. However, its possible it may have been bacteria but I'll never know. I don't remember what forum it was on, that I saw this information about crossover.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hot Water Cross Over

I agree that even with equal pressure, cross-over is possible when wrong or worn parts are involved. My thought is that hot water is not usually (if any) higher pressure than the cold. I saw this happen with a hot line I had turned off (at the supply valve) and disconnected. Cold water made it's way around the seals and sprayed all over when I disconnected the hot supply line.