Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Unhappy

hot water boiler


The heat in my house is supplied thru the baseboards connected to hot water boiler
I noticed the safety relief valve leaking slowly, so I changed it & installed a 30 PSIG new safety relief, but it is still leaking
I do not have a expansion tank, instead i have a 20 gallon tank above the boiler and this tank is not full

why is it still leaking when the boiler is in use.

lakhias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer
 
Bondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chaumont River, Ny.
Posts: 3,683
Rewards Points: 0
Default

hot water boiler


Quote:
Originally Posted by lakhias View Post
The heat in my house is supplied thru the baseboards connected to hot water boiler
I noticed the safety relief valve leaking slowly, so I changed it & installed a 30 PSIG new safety relief, but it is still leaking
I do not have a expansion tank, instead i have a 20 gallon tank above the boiler and this tank is not full

why is it still leaking when the boiler is in use.
Ayuh,.... What is the Pressure showing at the pressure gauge,..??

If it's approachin' 30psi, when Hot, yer expansion tank is probably more Full than ya think...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 0
Default

hot water boiler


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... What is the Pressure showing at the pressure gauge,..??

If it's approachin' 30psi, when Hot, yer expansion tank is probably more Full than ya think...

The pressure is 12-15 PSI when the boiler is on, I have tried to drain the water from the system to keep the pressure @ 10 psig, even than it leaks
lakhias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Civil Engineer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,209
Rewards Points: 14
Default

hot water boiler


That 20 gallon tank above your boiler is an expansion tank. I have one just like it at home. Draining the expansion tank is a little harder than it sounds, if it is the old style tank (sounds like you have an older style one), you need to close the inlet valve from the boiler to it, then open the sillcock on the tank, and drain it completely. I use a garden hose to do this. It may not be possible to let air in while you do this, in which case it takes a long time to drain, since the air has to come in through the hose. Kind of makes a burping sound. Takes mine about half an hour to drain, need to do it once a year.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-29-2011), lakhias (11-30-2011)
Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 0
Smile

hot water boiler


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
That 20 gallon tank above your boiler is an expansion tank. I have one just like it at home. Draining the expansion tank is a little harder than it sounds, if it is the old style tank (sounds like you have an older style one), you need to close the inlet valve from the boiler to it, then open the sillcock on the tank, and drain it completely. I use a garden hose to do this. It may not be possible to let air in while you do this, in which case it takes a long time to drain, since the air has to come in through the hose. Kind of makes a burping sound. Takes mine about half an hour to drain, need to do it once a year.


thanks daniel, I will try it today
Thanks
Ash
lakhias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Circ Pump? Water heater? Boiler? diamondjoe Plumbing 1 12-25-2010 08:20 PM
boiler and hot water venting AdamBNYC Plumbing 3 08-26-2010 05:09 PM
water borehole question joeuser General DIY Discussions 2 04-18-2010 10:33 PM
Boiler size Bonnie Youngs HVAC 29 07-10-2009 07:58 PM
Testing 12 year old hot water expansion tank? DJfixer Plumbing 2 01-01-2009 08:09 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.