Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #1

Share |

hot water

why does the water pressure drop when i turn the hot water on?
karla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:45 AM   #2

hot water

Need more info tell the story .
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #3

hot water

I have the same issue in my bathroom. I currently have a single control waterfall spout. One of the two below. I forget.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_56044-330-F-...etInfo=Pfister

http://www.lowes.com/pd_56044-330-F-...etInfo=Pfister

Basically, when I turn it on all the way to the left (hot water) the water pressure is very very low. I mean, it'll take at least 10 seconds to fill up an 8 oz. cup. I checked the water valve and it's all the way open.

Any ideas?

Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS1a9A6j8Zs

Last edited by llckll; 11-19-2011 at 07:58 AM.
llckll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #4

hot water

Perhaps an obstruction (piece of mineral scale, teflon tape, etc) in the path of the water from angle valve through to spout.
Might try unhooking supply line from the faucet base and running it into a bucket to see if all is ok up to the faucet. If so, then may be a clog in the faucet valve assembly.
If still slow, then valve or supply lines are clogged.
I assume all other hot water lines in the house and on this floor of the home have good flow?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #5

hot water

if you remove all the screens on the spouts tub,sinks open the HW on each one at a time the close move onto the next if they are all the same its the hot water coming out of the Hot Water heater pipe....the hot water should be just a little less then the cold.....go to the bottom of the HWH,and connect a hose open it up see that pressure the copper hot water isn't letting it out...the magnesium anorod is corroded or the copper to steel thread where the hot water comes out at the top is like a persons arthery slowly narrowing down with minerals on the way out of the tank from electrolosis'g<<<<< how's that spelling do the walk around first

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:04 AM   #6
how

hot water

Another possibility!!!
If all your hot water output flow is low in the house then the problem will be with the main cold water shut off valve to the hot water tank or the plugging of the inlet or outlet valves at the top of the tank. Many hot water tanks have small internal flapper valves at the tank inlet and outlet to stop the natural rising of the hot water out of hot water tank as this lowers the efficiency of the unit. The flapper valves resist natural heat rising water circulation but will fully open under the water pressure of an opening hot tap in the house. If slime developes in the tank it can prevent the flapper valves from opening properly and reduce the flow to a dribble. The flapper valve in the hot outlet is usually the one to cause that problem.

The easiest way to deal with it is to replace the cold water gate valve above the tank and to open up the inlet and outlet fittings to check if you have slime enveloped flapper valves. We just pull the flappers off with extra long needle nose plyers. The same operation will tell you if it is a long term partial plugging with corrosion of the hot water tank outlet.

Do not push the flapper (or sometime a ball in a cage) valve down into the tank as some plumbers in my area do. They will only cycle around and cause intermitant pressure reductions.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #7

hot water

First thing I was going to try was to replace the hot water supply line under the sink.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #8

hot water

Hot water pressure in bath tub and other sources are fine. Its just this one.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #9

hot water

break that union connector and flush the feed into a bucket if it's solid as others something is into the spout back flush it somehow rust dirt even without the screen seat might be packed...narrow it down even if you have to remove the fixture and flush out with a hose outside.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #10

hot water

Union connector is the smaller supply connected to the larger one?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #11

hot water

yes it is...flush the lines