DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Hot/Cold water problem in shower

10K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  oh'mike 
#1 ·
Hi,
I don't know if i'm in the right forum, but my problem is this: in our shower there is a hot water and cold water tap. I turned on the hot water tap at almost full counter clockwise then hot (almost boiling water) will come out of the shower then I just open the cold water tap by merely/neglible turn and the water becomes suddenly too cold?!! The hot water tap is in almost fully turned counter clockwise while the cold water tap is only a fraction of an inch been turned counterclockwise but still cold water is overpowering the hot water! :(

Pls advise what is the problem, thanks!

#2 ·
We need to know the brand of faucet--and the model--

Many newer mixer valves have pressure balancing and anti scald valves built in--it sounds like one of these features is malfunctioning.

The adjustments are often hidden under the decorative trim rings---remove the handles and trims and take a look---A call to the customer help line of the manufacturer is a good place to start.--M--

#4 ·
Hi, thanks for your reply (oh'mike and bluejeans).. as additonal info, when someone is taking a shower then suddenly someone turned on the tap on the sink near the shower, the shower becomes too cold!! Why is it?? I assume the anti scald valves is working because it will work the other way around if it's broken, right? (the shower will be very hot when someone turned on the tap on the sink).

Also, in the kitchen there is no such problem, I can easily mix the hot/cold water, but in the shower there is this problem.

I don't know the brand of the faucet, our house builder did not tell me yet. We are using a solar hot water system and gas boosted (so it's solar with a backup gas heating system). I saw a bunch of valves near the tank, is the pressure balancing and anti scald valves in there? What does it look like? I haven't tried to pry open the shower faucet to avoid damaging the tiles. Maybe that will be the last resort.

#5 ·
The shower mixer has it built in---If you can post a picture of your mixer I bet someone here will recognize the brand.

The adjustment screws are in the valve body--hidden behind the trims for the handles.

You won't have to touch the tiles---get a picture.

#7 ·
It's less than 2yr old house..

Oh'mike, I attach here the photo of the shower tap, as you can see, I think I need to pry open the tiles to see the inside of the taps in order to see the pressure balancing valve/anti scad valve. What do you think? Are the valves behind those taps inside the wall??

Attachments

#8 ·
I agree with the others, the most likely problem would be a faulty anti-scald feature in the mixing valve, which is not shown. One recommendation- -DO NOT remove any tiles until it is absolutely necessary! What is on the other side of this wall with the handles? If it is a standard sheetrock wall I would approach any repairs from that side, easier/lower cost repair of wall that way. Start by removing either handle, then the trim ring. Look at the trim ring very closely to see if there is a manufacturers name imprinted on it somewhere. They used to stamp names on them but in today's world they use Laser etching and you have to hold it just right in the light. The info may even be on the back of the trim ring. Your photo shows only the handles, somewhere in the wall there is a mixing valve before the water leaves the shower head. BIP! Could you have a shower head with a built-in anti-scald device and need to look there? David

#9 ·
Don't even think about messing with the tiles---I think,in this instance calling in a plumber might be the way to go----The parts that need to be repaired are usually accessible by removing the handles and the trim ring.

Before you damage the tile or walls you need to know the brand of faucet---a good plumber will know what you have--and how to fix it.

Lets hope it is a popular brand with parts available and not an off shore cheap-o.--Mike--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.