Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
ALI

Share |

Hot & Cold reversed

Hello All - glad I finally found a post where I can get real answers. My daughter and I live for DIY - the DVR records each show when we're gone!! Anyway, last September, yes one year ago, I had a plumber come in and fix a leak in my shower pipe. Well, since that time I now have hot water in the cold water faucet. The cold water never comes on completely. And, the cold water - that is cold comes out of the hot faucet - installed backwards. Other than calling this guy back - what can be done to get cold water??? I live in Florida and it's already hot!!! Thank you for any information at all. I am familiar with landscaping and irrigation, but this has me stumped??? Alice

AVALLLIERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Hot & Cold reversed

AVALLIERE-first; what did the plumber do as far as "fix a leak" in your shower? Did he replace the shower water control valve, piping, a diverter, exactly what did he do? Why did you wait a year before seekin help on this, I would have had him back the next day. Think back to the day he was there and what he did, this may answer your question. There are just too many possiblilities to try and answer this on this forum. IMO, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
ALI

Hot & Cold reversed

There was a small whole in the copper pipe that ran from the faucet up to where it meets the shower head and he simply saudered that. He then changed the faucet (you may be calling this the shower control valve - I'm a lawyer and don't know plumbing language - sorry) in the shower and from that point on the cold water always ran hot. FYI - during this time my daughter was getting married and my husband and I were building a deck around our pool to create a Key West bridal shower....not much of an excuse but then two weeks went by and we had the wedding - then we left for NH for 6 weeks as I have summer homes up in the White Mountains and we are renovating them. I don't believe he Dave did anything other than sauder the whole and change the faucet out - but I think it has something to do with the fact that the cold water comes out where the hot water should be...if that makes sense. I'm not at home right now and I'd like my husband to continue this conversation. He refused to call the plumber back because this isn't the first profanity removed, please do not bypass the censor since the poor guy got divorced!!!! What do you think? Are you a plumber in Florida - come on over!!!!

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 09-18-2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: removed profanity that avoided censor
Old 09-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #4

Hot & Cold reversed

what brand faucet? post a picture to help us see what you have. the cartridge may simply need to be rotated 180 degrees.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
ALI

Hot & Cold reversed

Jim-

Thanks much for the degree lesson. My husband said something about a diverter (sp?) - guess it never crossed his mind. Will let you know if that worked. Again thanks!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:27 AM   #6
Household Handyman

Hot & Cold reversed

AVALLIERE--Please read: First understand that I am visiting my daughter in Fairbanks, Alaska. She recently bought a house which needed really minor repair work and I have a business in GA. doing minor home repairs, so she invited me up then put me to work up here. BUT-today I had to meet the heating repair guy at the duplex she owns, which is now rental property for a heat issue. They use boilers up here to heat water and the home. The issue was hot water in the cold water faucets suddenly. She lived in the unit for a year or so with no problems until the last two months. Then there was a problem for her (upstairs) and the renter (downstairs) with hot water in the cold water faucets sometimes. Within the month of her moving out the problem became constant for the d'stairs renter. The heat people came out and put a check valve in the boiler system as they decided it needed it to solve the problem. NO fix. Today another tech came out and really got into the root cause of the problem, searching for every pipe in the building and where it went. After about six hours he found the problem. Under the upstairs bath sink, within the wall (code violation here) he found a "thermal mixing valve". These are used to prevent excessive hot water temps coming from the lavatory faucet by mixing hot/cold water as needed, and as set by the thermal mixing valve setting. We don't know why it was there. The valve was bad creating a "cross-connection" of the hot and cold water which when mixed went to all of the unit the way it was plumbed. Evidently this valve decided to go bad just as she moved out. He eliminated the valve from the plumbing, capped off the cross-connection and all is well now. Could there possible have been a thermal mixing valve in your plumbing? IF he changed the bath faucet out and used one with three handles: HOT, diverter, COLD--there is a chance he may have put the diverter stem in the HOT side and the HOT stem in the diverter position. I have seen this, and it will cross-connect the water in some units. Sorry for the long post, but hoping it may help, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote