Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #1

Share |

Hose Bib Repair

I need to repair or replace an outside hose bib, which should be easy but I cannot get the bib off. It appears to have female threads screwed onto a threaded sleeve that should be sweated onto the copper coming from the house.

I am trying to avoid buying some MAP, solder, and flux and replacing the sleeve.

I am wondering if the bib was affixed to the sleeve so that the two cannot be taken apart.

The valve stem is not rebuildable. If I could get a valve stem or a new bib to rob the stem from I would do that and used the old body/ Any ideas? Do I simply have to get the MAP and remove the old sleeve and all?
Attached Thumbnails
Hose Bib Repair-hose-bib-015.jpg   Hose Bib Repair-hose-bib-018.jpg  

Last edited by Klawman; 01-01-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Hose Bib Repair

Agree. Sounds like a good idea. Try your idea of swapping out the stem from a new bib first.

By the looks of your pic, hose bib should unscrew from the female adapter/coupling. Sometimes they are soldered in like you said and are non-removable without unsoldering it, but I don't see any evidence of that. Maybe try some pb blaster, tap it a few times, let it set for awhile and try again using a big wrench on the hose bib and channel locks on the pipe coupling for equal pressure so you don't break the pipe.

It looks like copper pipe, so if it's soldered in and non-removable using wrenches, you can always just cut/deburr the pipe and throw a sharkbyte connector on it (male or female your choice, see pic for example), apply teflon tape/pipe dope on threads, screw on/tighten down your new bib, check for leaks, and done. No need to unsolder/solder anything. Just a thought. Others will be along shortly with more advice for you.

How's the weather in California? Looks sunny and warm in the pics. Really cold and snowy here right now in upstate NY.

Last edited by jmon; 01-02-2014 at 10:22 AM. Reason: added pic of a sharkbyte connector
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
Klawman (01-01-2014), oh'mike (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #3

Hose Bib Repair

I hadn't thought of the shark bite. I just got back from Lowe's and they got me thinking about calling a plumber and be ready to pony up $150, buying the parts including a torch and all which would run me about $60. It is warm. The wife keeps running the AC. Not like where my son is returning at the end of the week for school in Kansas City.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #4
DIY staff

Hose Bib Repair

jmon sure does have a simple and quick solution----no burnt paint! Great thinking,
jmon (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #5

Hose Bib Repair

Based on your pic, that's not a male fitting but a coupling. The hose bib was probably soldered to a short piece of pipe and joined to the house with the coupling. The Sharkbite is a good idea unless you have other plumbing jobs in your future.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #6

Hose Bib Repair

The absolute easiest solution may be to buy an identical bib and take the valve stem out of it to use in the old bib which can be left sweated on. That or the shark bite is nice and simple and simple I like.
The Following User Says Thank You to Klawman For This Useful Post:
jmon (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
Retired Army Veteran

Hose Bib Repair

Yes, I agree, that would be the simplest fix, try that first. If that doesn't work for you, you have another back-up plan. Let us know how everything works out for you klawman. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 01-01-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #8

Hose Bib Repair

It worked, I couldn't get the exact hose bibb but one from the same manufacturer was had at Lowe's. I robbed the valve stem and handle off of it, threaded it on the old valve with ample silicon grease for the rubber washer and Teflon tape for the thread and its a done deal for just over $8. A simple job at last! Best for the New Year to all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klawman For This Useful Post:
jmon (01-02-2014), oh'mike (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
Retired Army Veteran

Hose Bib Repair

And to you as well Klawman. Glad everything worked out for you. Sometimes we overlook the simplest things.