Horizontal Vent - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Horizontal Vent

I am adding a laundry room to the second floor of my house. I have added a new 1 waste line that ties into the 4 waste line in the basement. I am going to be venting vertically into my attic and tying into the existing 4 stack. My question is, can a section of the new vent be horizontal prior to tying into existing stack? The new vent will tie into the existing stack roughly 8 above the appliance tie in and will run horizontal for about 2. Is this correct?

Advertisement

mark_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #2

Horizontal Vent

Wait for one of the experts here first but I believe a washing machine stand pipe is supposed to be 2'' unless the washing machine drains into a laundry tub, in which case 1 1/2' is fine.

Advertisement

HairClog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Horizontal Vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_m View Post
I am adding a laundry room to the second floor of my house. I have added a new 1 waste line that ties into the 4 waste line in the basement. I am going to be venting vertically into my attic and tying into the existing 4 stack. My question is, can a section of the new vent be horizontal prior to tying into existing stack? The new vent will tie into the existing stack roughly 8 above the appliance tie in and will run horizontal for about 2. Is this correct?
Yes, this is fine to do
The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,620

Horizontal Vent

I pipe laundry boxes and laundry sinks on 2" (trap arm and trap on laundry sink can be 1.5") 1.5" vent is fine
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #5

Horizontal Vent

I checked the local code and called a plumber friend, right now the code only requires a 1 1/2" drain for the clothes washer but that will be changing to 2" with the next book. I wanted to run a 2" pipe but i own an old house and the wall I choose to run this plumbing is framed in 2" x 3" rough sawn lumber. As a result a 2" pipe will not fit. So it seams that I will have to run the vent line at an angle to fit in the attic.

I have a new question, is there a minimun length for the stand pipe? I know that the suggested length is roughly 36" but that will bring my washer box into the area for the dryer vent for my stacked unit.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,620

Horizontal Vent

18" -36", p trap 6" above the floor
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:00 AM   #7

Horizontal Vent

So as I mentioned, I have made the drain in 1 1/2" pipe and the stand pipe is 24" long. According to the machine manual the drain can not be any lower than 12" from the top of the machine nor can it be any higher than 5' above the machine. I have attached a picture showing how it is dry fit for now. Does this look to be correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Horizontal Vent-2nd_washer_noted.jpg  
Old 09-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #8

Horizontal Vent

I just got off of the phone with Bosch (appliance manufacturer). They confirmed that with the unit that I'm installing will work fine w/a 1 1/2" drain and a 24" stand pipe. I'm 99% sure that everything else I did is up to code for mass....so I'm hoping I'm all set to finish this tomorrow. Any responce on this or the pic is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Horizontal Vent

I don't like the idea of sizing a drain based on the appliance you install. What if you get a new one? I also don't like the cleanout plug on the bottom of the trap, I've seen them leak in the past. Other than that, the piping looks good. Put a cleanout on the vent below the box before you terminate thru the roof, get a cover for it so you don't have to cut drywall if you ever need it

Advertisement

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote