DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

hook up ice maker line. already have a valve on the floor behind fridge but...3/8"

14K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  s8smith 
#1 ·
hook up ice maker line. already have a valve on the floor behind fridge but...3/8"

I have this LG fridge and i bought this tube kit at home depot to hook it up. behind the fridge the builder already made this valve for ice maker on the floor. problem is the nut on that tube is 1/4" which is smaller than the 3/8" valve. it comes with this saddle piercing valve but i don't need that because i dont have a pipe running there. attached pictures

I tried to find a 1/4 x 3/8 adapter at Home Depot but the guy said there's nothing there that can fit and told me find a plumber to install for me.

should i just switch out that valve on the floor to a 1/4"? it looks like i can just unbolt it and put a new one in. so i find one that has one end 3/8" and the other end 1/4" ?

or is there any other easier way to do this? i've never really touched plumbing before :eek:

thanks !

See less See more
#2 ·
Toss the saddle valve, go to a hardware or plumbing store where they have someone who knows what they're talking about and get a 3/8" female X 1/4" compression adapter and put the thing on yourself. Don't forget to insert the little brass tube into the end of the plastic hose for the 1/4" compression fitting.
Easy.
Good Luck!
Mike

#4 ·
Had same problem with water cut off. Installed compression adapter. Checked to make sure water was getting through by putting tube in bucket and turning on water source.

Now connected to fridge, but no water getting through to ice maker. Nothing in manual about trouble shooting for this.

Loosened nut at fridge with water on and it leaked water before I retightened. Looks like water is getting to that point.

Have no idea where to start trouble shooting. Would appreciate some advise.

#5 ·
On a new refrigerator you need to open the water valve fully open, and hold a cup under the water dispenser in the door. It may take 2 or 3 minutes for water to come out of the dispenser, it has to fill the cold water tank in the refrigerator. Is there water in the icemaker? can you hear it try to fill? is the icemaker turned on?

#6 ·
Thanks

Sorry It's taken me so long to reply. The day I posted the previous message a tooth became abscessed--between getting the infection under control and a root canal--I failed to reply to your post.

You were right. The fridge is working great. Thanks again:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.