Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2008, 03:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hook up ice maker line. already have a valve on the floor behind fridge but...3/8"

I have this LG fridge and i bought this tube kit at home depot to hook it up. behind the fridge the builder already made this valve for ice maker on the floor. problem is the nut on that tube is 1/4" which is smaller than the 3/8" valve. it comes with this saddle piercing valve but i don't need that because i dont have a pipe running there. attached pictures

I tried to find a 1/4 x 3/8 adapter at Home Depot but the guy said there's nothing there that can fit and told me find a plumber to install for me.

should i just switch out that valve on the floor to a 1/4"? it looks like i can just unbolt it and put a new one in. so i find one that has one end 3/8" and the other end 1/4" ?

or is there any other easier way to do this? i've never really touched plumbing before

thanks !

bakchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

hook up ice maker line. already have a valve on the floor behind fridge but...3/8"

Toss the saddle valve, go to a hardware or plumbing store where they have someone who knows what they're talking about and get a 3/8" female X 1/4" compression adapter and put the thing on yourself. Don't forget to insert the little brass tube into the end of the plastic hose for the 1/4" compression fitting.
Easy.
Good Luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:54 PM   #3

I just bought a Watts Compression adapter 3/8" OD x 1/4" Female OD will try it soon.

the packaging says
bakchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:13 PM   #4

Had same problem with water cut off. Installed compression adapter. Checked to make sure water was getting through by putting tube in bucket and turning on water source.

Now connected to fridge, but no water getting through to ice maker. Nothing in manual about trouble shooting for this.

Loosened nut at fridge with water on and it leaked water before I retightened. Looks like water is getting to that point.

Have no idea where to start trouble shooting. Would appreciate some advise.
s8smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
electrical contractor

Rewards Points: 150

On a new refrigerator you need to open the water valve fully open, and hold a cup under the water dispenser in the door. It may take 2 or 3 minutes for water to come out of the dispenser, it has to fill the cold water tank in the refrigerator. Is there water in the icemaker? can you hear it try to fill? is the icemaker turned on?

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid.
wire_twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:59 AM   #6

Sorry It's taken me so long to reply. The day I posted the previous message a tooth became abscessed--between getting the infection under control and a root canal--I failed to reply to your post.

You were right. The fridge is working great. Thanks again

s8smith is offline   Reply With Quote