Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

home run system using copper insted of pex

hi to all im thinking of doing a home run system on my house using the same concept of the pex home run system but doing it all of flexible copper , I would like to use a manifold in the garage and run flexible copper in the attic to each bathroom , what do you guys think of this idea? one of the reasons I wanted to use flexible copper is i didnt want any joints up in the attic i would be doing a 3/4 inch run as far as i can take it then reduse to 1/2 on the walls ... i would like to hear your suggestions and no I dont want to use Pex or cpvc do to personal preference

ogoz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,242

Check your code. Mine does not allow soft copper above ground

Sent from my DROID2 using DIY Chatroom

Old 01-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #3

i belive they do allow but i want to hear peoples thoughts more then anything
Old 01-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Not sure if the code specifically states whether or not you can or can't use soft copper.... I have installed several manibloc systems and haven't had any problems from them... but I can understand your concerns about using pex.. I'm not sure if the manibloc system is designed to accept copper, there are different types, some use a flare type hook up some use the pro plex expander... most manibloc systems come with attachments designed for pex. They do make copper manifolds that might work
dlwilson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #5

Well I will be building my own copper manifold with 1 inch and 3/4 pipe ,,, do you think this system would be more efficient then the traditional trunk and branch system and by the way cost is not a factor
Old 01-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Clearly you're not worried about the cost! Its been a long time since I worked with coil copper but I recall it being fairly easy to kink it while uncoiling it.

Can you give a little more insight as to why you wish to install this way? Do you have water pressure issues?
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogoz23 View Post
Well I will be building my own copper manifold with 1 inch and 3/4 pipe ,,, do you think this system would be more efficient then the traditional trunk and branch system and by the way cost is not a factor
Efficient? Cost is no object, so what kind of efficient? I do not like water lines in an attic. Soft copper is pretty easy to kink.
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

Well I will be building my own copper manifold with 1 inch and 3/4 pipe ,,, do you think this system would be more efficient then the traditional trunk and branch system and by the way cost is not a factor[/quote]

If cost is not an option then why not go with a mana-block and run pex off it. Rigid copper to me is the only wan to go and not semi-rigid. But, why try and build a manifold when mana-block has all the varibles already worked out.

Mana-bloc and pex is the way to go for me.

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by broox View Post
Efficient? Cost is no object, so what kind of efficient? I do not like water lines in an attic. Soft copper is pretty easy to kink.
I'm trying to picture fishing 3/4 soft down a wall while sweating and banging my head on rafters, mumbling about kinks and thinking about 100' rolls of pex

Last edited by TheEplumber; 01-31-2012 at 06:46 PM.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #10

The most efficient way in my opinion and probably fastest way would be to go with pex water lines, you can even color coordinate red for hot, blue for cold... Not sure how well soft copper would handle being bent to go down into the wall cavity as opposed to pex which can be bent fairly easy and has multiple plastic and metal brackets to help hold and shape it... I've been installing pex for around 5+ years and I have never been called back for any reason due to faulty material, leaks, loose fittings etc..
Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #11

Ok I don't want to use pex I would like to use copper I did notice that it kinks easier but if I use rigid copper would have to many fittings and me being a firefighter I can tell you how many fires I go because people are trying to sweat copper in the attic I want to keep the sweating pipe to a minimum up in the attic
Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 3,090

I agree Pex is the way to go. It would be a night mare to try and snake copper.
Faster, cheaper, no kinks, no joints, same flow as copper.
I also agree in not running lines through an attic. An accident waiting to happen.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #13

Than you would probably be good to use shark or gator bites bought from the two big box stores... Yes they are considerably more expensive but they don't require the use of any "fire"... and I've used literally 1000's of both brands and I have never had one malfunction.. In my opinion they can be very beneficial in tight spots
Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #14

Sounds like your making a lot of extra, difficult work for yourself.

To be completely honest soft copper is an antiquated technology. It was simply the "closest to flexible" thing available at the time. There are absolutely no advantages to using soft Cu over PEX. (Except certain situations like steam lines, PEX does not like to go above boiling point.)

Cu appears harder and "tougher" then PEX but the same drywall screw you put through PEX will go right through any copper line as well. PEX behaves better when you have a freeze up- it will expand much more then copper before it will split. PEX does not oxidize and corrode and it's inside diameter will pit less over time from water impurities slamming into it.

Not my 2 cents, just the observations made from working with both materials, as well as comparing failed sections of both types of tubing.

Think of all the things you could do with the $234,000 dollars you would save buying PEX
PlumbDumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:22 PM   #15

Also a PEX only house will eliminate the need to ever solder a fitting inside again. It will also melt and help fight the blaze

PlumbDumb is offline   Reply With Quote