Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2008, 10:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Hissing toilet.. please help

firt of all im obviously not a plumber..ok..the toilet has been hissing everytime i flush it for months. When i flush the toilet, water enters the tank and starts to stall out and hiss(only way to describe it) then flow then stall out and hiss over and over..it will hiss like 5-20 times b4 the tank is full and the noise stops. Im pretty sure its the fill valve.

I bought a new one and a new toilet connector, but i dont think its the connector.

I went to turn off the valve that turns the water off to the toilet and no matter how hard i turn it the water doesnt completely shut off. So water continues to slowly fill up the tank.

I was gonna attempt to change out the fill valve but if water keeps entering the tank, my bucket below the tank will probably fill up fast.

Can i fix the shut off valve myself by tightening or loosening the nut that attaches the valve to the pipe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

flashme18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
Journeyman Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,000

Turn the water off to house and while it's off replace the shutoff valve, either the shut off valve screws onto pipe or compresses on, get the same type to replace it with.

Now

Replace the tank fill valve with a fluidmaster 400A, see pictures on how to install it, it is easy to install.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #3

awesome..i bought the 400A at Lowes like 2 weeks ago..so its in stock in my bathroom..

As far as replacing the shutoff valve..it looks like there is a big hex nut at the end of the valve. so i assume that it screws on and then needs to be tightened..there isnt much space to get behind there unfortunately.

Where might the shutoff valve for the house be? is there only one? Its a small split level house. Its my parents house so i dont even know if they know where it is. Probably basement?

Thanks Ron
Old 05-02-2008, 12:14 AM   #4
Journeyman Plumber

Check the basement, if not look for the meter, hex nut, sounds like compression, can you post a picture, so we know for sure?

Old 05-02-2008, 09:06 AM   #5
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Ron is right on - Its either compression or the entire valve just screws off.

You may also just be able to replace the washer in that shut-off valve. That too will require you to shut off the main water valve.

To change the washer in the shut-off valve...
Shut off main water
remove nut just below handle
remove stem by turning the knob counter clockwise (like you are turning on the water)
take the stem to your hardware store and match up a new washer for the end of the stem.
replace

Should cost about a nickel.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #6

here are some pix..i hope you guys can figure it out so i dont have to go on a wild goose chase..my parents will freak if i have to shut off water for an hour, even though im fixing their toilet!

here you go.

first two pix are from the left side and only side i can access. the 2nd two are from the the other side and i had to snap off like 10 pix to get those two. hopefully thats all you need.

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Hissing toilet.. please help-p5020462.jpg   Hissing toilet.. please help-p5020463.jpg   Hissing toilet.. please help-p5020465.jpg   Hissing toilet.. please help-p5020468.jpg  

Last edited by flashme18; 05-02-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #7
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

The connection from the valve to the pipe is called NPT or 'iron pipe'. You can replace the valve or just the washer. I already described how to replace the washer. Nothing changes given the pictures.

if you replace the valve:
Shut off main
disconnect the supply to the toilet
use a large wrench and unscrew the valve from the pipe
The pipe may also turn, this is OK, just unscrew the pipe and the valve
if you cant get the short piece of pipe off of the valve just replace both
take the valve/pipe with you to the hardware store and get a match. Check bothe the pipe end and the 'compression' end where the toilet connects.
When you re-install this you will use teflon tape on the threads on the pipe end, not needed on the toilet side.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
Journeyman Plumber

Looks compression to me, if thats copper out the wall then it's compression. Require you to use a back up wrench to help in the removal of the valve.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #9

im thinking i might just shut off the water and replace the fill valve and worry about the compression valve another time. if the toilet stops hissing then all is solved..
Old 05-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
Journeyman Plumber

Keep one thing in mind, what happens if the water line was to burst at the toilet in the middle of the night, you can't stop it fast enough if the shut off valve at toilet does not work. You really should deal with it now.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

Replace any shut off valve with a "quarter turn" shut off...not a cheap one with rubber seats in it if you can.
A quarter turn is a full ball valve with a teflon seal in it, it will last for a LONG time and you won't have to worry about getting a "leaker" even when it is cranked shut.
jbhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
Licensed Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 150

I agree with Ron and JB. It is kind of hard to tell from the pics but if the pipe out of the wall is copper it's probably a compression stop. What Ron means by a back up wrench is to hold the stop motionless while unscrewing the nut. You will either have to reuse the old nut and compression ring or cut the pipe just behind the ring if you have room to get another one on after you cut it. Make sure of this before you cut it!

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:19 AM   #13

i replaced the fill valve and it works like a charm..it is really, really loud though! it needs a muzzle. as far as switching out the valve..you guys are getting really complicated now. cutting the pipe and reinstalling a valve...how does the the new valve become water tight with the pipe? im really confused now.

by the way..when shut off the water to the house the water contined to flow a little bit through that pipe, more than what was coming out of the faucet in the sink...

the odds of that valve bursting are very slim, im gonna take a gamble and not switch it out..its never had an issue, other than it doesnt close 100%
Old 05-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #14
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashme18 View Post
the odds of that valve bursting are very slim, im gonna take a gamble and not switch it out..its never had an issue, other than it doesnt close 100%
Call a plumber pls, ASAP.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:40 PM   #15

can you explain why i need a plumber asap..the toilet works fine, there are no leaks anywhere.

when i shutoff the water to the house, in 20-30 minutes it was off , maybe a 1/4 gallon to a 1/2 gallon of water flowed out of connector to the toilet. That is the only thing that i thought was odd.

When i turned the water to the house back on, all the pressure went back up into the pipes.