Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Highrise sink - sewage backup

I live in a highrise. The bathroom sink has water coming up through the drain with sewage and it will just pour out on its own.

The bathtub, toilet and kitchen sink drains all work fine.

Do you know what would be causing this and is this the buildings responsibility?

grex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,070

Most likly just the trap under the sink is plugged up. Set a bucket under the drain and remove the trap.
Not the trap then use a snake to clean out the drain, I know you do not have one, try a metal coat hanger.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Most likly just the trap under the sink is plugged up. Set a bucket under the drain and remove the trap.
Not the trap then use a snake to clean out the drain, I know you do not have one, try a metal coat hanger.
If the trap is plugged up then how is sewage getting up thru the drain constantly? If the trap was plugged then nothing would be able to get thru the pipe at all. Nothing would be able to move up or down.

Instead everything is pushing up thru the pipes. Wouldn't that sound like a clog in the main drain line?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,236

If your mainline is clogged- chances are good that your tub and or toilet would also be backed up. Because only one fixture is affected it's safe to assume your problem is on the branch line serving that fixture. Start with the trap and tailpiece. If its clear, proceed to the trap arm and branch line.
Ravenworks (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
If your mainline is clogged- chances are good that your tub and or toilet would also be backed up. Because only one fixture is affected it's safe to assume your problem is on the branch line serving that fixture. Start with the trap and tailpiece. If its clear, proceed to the trap arm and branch line.
Again: If there was a blockage in the Trap, then how would water be getting into the drain from outside. It keeps coming through and it is waste water.

A blockage of the trap would mean that all water being blocked would be coming from the SINK itself, waste would not be pushed upwards which is refilling, ie new waste.

I had the tub snaked awhile back so my guess is there is blockage inside the pipes itself that was pushed from the tub to the sink which is inbetween.

Will contact the building super.

http://www.sweethaven02.com/BldgConst/en51135a0017.gif

Last edited by grex23; 04-23-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by grex23 View Post
I live in a highrise. The bathroom sink has water coming up through the drain with sewage and it will just pour out on its own.

The bathtub, toilet and kitchen sink drains all work fine.

Do you know what would be causing this and is this the buildings responsibility?
Do you have a washing machine in your apartment or condo? Or any other thing that can be higher than your bathroom sink?

In our home, the laundry tub and kitchen sink are on the same drain line. If that drain line clogs, water will backflow into the kitchen sink. Inevitably that happens when my wife does the laundry. Waste water from the washer flows into the laundry tub and the higher level backflows into the kitchen sink. This never affects our back-to-back bathrooms which are on a different drain line.

Just a possibility,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
Do you have a washing machine in your apartment or condo? Or any other thing that can be higher than your bathroom sink?

In our home, the laundry tub and kitchen sink are on the same drain line. If that drain line clogs, water will backflow into the kitchen sink. Inevitably that happens when my wife does the laundry. Waste water from the washer flows into the laundry tub and the higher level backflows into the kitchen sink. This never affects our back-to-back bathrooms which are on a different drain line.

Just a possibility,
HRG
It can't be the sink trap because waste is going in the opposite direction on that pipe.

The super scheduled a water shutdown for tomorrow and I wonder if its related to issues someone else was having. But the water line is fine, it is the drain which is having issues.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,026

Could be waste water from a neighbor's sink that shares the same drain pipe for a few feet, and the blockage is in the shared part.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Could be waste water from a neighbor's sink that shares the same drain pipe for a few feet, and the blockage is in the shared part.
Ill speak to the building super tomorrow. I had to shut the drain but even then some waste water is still spilling out into the sink.

It does appear the sink is on a different line than the other drain pipes.

Actually the upstairs neighbor wound up depressing the sink and I think they have a blockage cause my sink wound up pouring out water and now its fully full even though the sink was closed with particles and water.

Time to bring in the super and have him fix it. The line is definitely messed up.

Last edited by grex23; 04-23-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 508

grex i agree not a trap issue i am going to say that the branch line is clogged on you floor below sink or floor below yours above their sink the branch line will need to be snaked at your sink down to floor below yours unless they are having back up issues also.i have seen this multiple times in a 6 story commercial building
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
grex i agree not a trap issue i am going to say that the branch line is clogged on you floor below sink or floor below yours above their sink the branch line will need to be snaked at your sink down to floor below yours unless they are having back up issues also.i have seen this multiple times in a 6 story commercial building
Will contact the super tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Will contact the super tomorrow.
Fixed. The maintanence guy had a special pump to fix it. Big metal manual pump. Didn't take so long to fix.

Im sure Im not the only person in highrises in the city with the problem. Common tool used in highrises in all likelyhood.

Last edited by grex23; 04-24-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,236

Quote:
Fixed. The maintanence guy had a special pump to fix it. Big metal manual pump. Didn't take so long to fix.

Im sure Im not the only person in highrises in the city with the problem. Common tool used in highrises in all likelyhood.
kinetic water ram?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
kinetic water ram?
Not the exact one but a similar device. Never even heard of these devices before. I guess in highrises they own these since I bet drain clogs are common.

Bright patent holders. It did the job. Drain goes down smoothly now. I filled up sink, drained it, it is all fine.