Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #1

Share |

High Water Pressure Problems

I was recently hooked up to city water and after blowing out my waterheater, and half the pvc piping running to a downstairs bathroom, a pressure regulator was installed and set to 50PSI. This worked for about 3 weeks until i came home to a water heater overflow spouting water. I shut off the water, checked the setting on the regulator (cranked it down a little bit) turned the water back on and it was et to 45PSI. This stayed for about three hours until the water pressure started to go up until i shut it off (around 95psi) I turned the water back on and it stayed at 45PSI for the next 3 hrs until i turned it off for the night.

Is this a faulty regulator or am i missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

DVaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 08:58 AM   #2

It sounds like it may be a faulty regulator. But I would recommend contacting the manufacture of the regulator. It is also possible you water heater needs an expansion tank added on or something. The trapped water may be building up pressure in your system as the water heats up in the heater. THis expanded water may have no place to go spiking up the pressure.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #3

You may want to check for “Thermal Expansion” Heated water expands, and in a domestic hot water system the system may be closed when the potable water system is isolated from the public water supply by a one-way valve such as pressure reducing valve, backflow preventer or check valve. Provisions must be made for this expansion.

Potable Water Expansion Tanks are designed to absorb the increased volume of water created by thermal expansion and to maintain balanced pressure throughout the potable water supply system. Check your Water Heater Temperature and Pressure Relief Valve for proper sizing and installation.

Click here to learn about Thermal Expansion…
http://www.wattscanada.ca/pdf/PG-ThermExpansion.pdf

Click here to view some Thermal Expansion Tanks
PSZach is offline   Reply With Quote