DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

High pressure in water line

12K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  atlfiveo 
#1 ·
I have very high pressure water coming into my house (160 psi) from the County. I have a pressure reducer so my water pressure at the faucets and tub etc is around 55 psi. I was told that was normal. I also have a small expansion tank (about double the size of a football) near the hot water heater. The problem is that sometimes I turn on one of the faucets and I get a high pressure surge of water before it levels off to normal. It happens sporadically all over the house. It doesn't happen all the time and I can't find a pattern either. I was thinking that my pressure reducer is going bad and letting the pressure build up or maybe my expansion tank is too small or gone bad...or both. Any ideas?

#2 ·
I'd vote for the pressure reducer...it's putting too much pressure into the tank, then when an outlet is opened it finally gets some relief.

Doesn't happen all the time because it's just starting to go bad, maybe...but it's not going to fix itself.

Before you go buy anything though, wait for Ron or one of the other pros, they may have other ideas.

#5 ·
The expansion tank pressure is too low, if the house is at 55 and the tank is at 45, then the tank is not going to work, the tank need to be set higher then the house pressure, so when hot water expands it will allow water to enter the tank when the pressure on the system reaches the pressure, right now the tank is probably full and no place for water to expand into when required. I'd pump up the tank to a good 65psi.

Not sure why the surge is taking place thou.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.