Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #1

Share |

high pressure cold water and low pressure hot water

hi everyone
I want to replace my instant gas waterheater with a pressureless Solar heater installed on my roof.

Of course, the gas water heater was pressurized with the same pressure as the cold water. The new system delivers cold water to the tank on the roof, but from there it is all gravity fed.

What do I have to think of when installing this? i think I have to prevent backflushing from the coldwater side to the warmwater side. What is the valve I have to get for that?

Will the faucets in my house still work, having different pressures or do I need to install a pump and expansiontank after the pressureless solarsystem to bring pressure to the same level (I would rather not, but perhaps it is neccessary to make it work?).

Of course, I will find everything out by trial and error, but I want to prepare as mich as I can before I takle this job. (I am a pretty good professional cabinetmaker but not a plumber :-) )

Thanks for any input.

want-to-know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #2

Unfortunately nobody chimed in so far

Old 11-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #3

I just got back from the Dominican Republic and I think I saw what you are wanting to do. Just about every house/shack/shanty down there had a 200 or so gallon black tank mounted on the roof. White water lines going up and coming back down. As best as I could tell, they pumped the water up and it was gravity feed back down. With average daytime temps in the upper 80's I would imagine that the water got plenty warm. If you figure water weighs 8lbs per gallon, it should be enough to give you fairly good flow if you have a big enough tank. Perhaps a float valve to refill the tank as it gets low. Once you have warm water I think it would take very little cold water to make it comfortable to shower with? Would be a great water conservation idea?
southernkilowat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #4

Thinking about it, what if you let the cold water line be the pressure in the solar panel? Pipe it in at 40psi and let it stand until you turn on the hot water? When you turn on the hot the cold will replace it at 40 psi? Just thinking outloud here............
Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #5

Thanks for your input, Southern kilowatt.
The system I am installing uses vacuum glass pipes as collector medium that, as a thermo reaction, stores the water in a big 75 gallon tank above the collecture tubes. I am reaching a temperature of up to 200F!!! with full sunshine.

I have a fillervalve that regulates the waterlevel by adding cold water. But the tank is pressureless and can not pressurized.

I just want to discuss the issue, what happens when the pressurized coldwater meets the low pressure hot water....?

I will have a check valve in the hotwaterline to prevent backflow and I am inclined to add a thermostatic valve to the hotwater line before it goes into the house, mixing coldwater to reach a lower (safe) temperature. Again, how will this mixervalve react with the pressure differencial? Will it still mix appropiatly or will the pressure differencial have a bad influence?

I just want-to-know :-)d
Old 11-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #6

Good question, have you thought about adding a pressure regulator BEFORE the mixervalve? Also, another thought is when the cold meets the hot will the outside of the valve sweat? Not sure where you are and if humidity is a problem but just food for thought. I would think that by adding a pressure regulator you may avoid any whistling or other onwanted noise?