Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #1

Share |

High inlet pressure

I noticed my tp on hotwater heater releasing H2oo so I called plumber to check it..He put a gauge on outlet can you believe reading 128 psi.. oh no we ran around to house where hose goes in did it there high also at same pressure.. ok I said scream.. on th einside .. we or he had never seen that before.. so he changes tpr valve out .. still high.. called city out they got a reading of 140 oh shhh... they tapped around kyard looking for pr valve couldn t find it but did find second main turn off.. for less rambling on my part they said put one expansion dtank on hodt water heater.. my expense..I think if the reducing valve was placed I wouldn t have city pressure. but who can argue with it.. does anyone have any ideas on this.. my immediate neighbors have pressure of 70 .. so why is mine so high?? no one had any answers other than thermal expansion.. does this make sense.? or has my prv. failed.. or is that pressure reducing valve come in most systems since the 90 s .. any help would be appreciated..Iam a single woman dealing with who knows. what..in the future..

aliensweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #2

High inlet pressure

you did not say if your other neighbors have pressure reducing valves....you could have high pressure if at end of line bottom of hill etc....reguardless your pressure is 128psi..needs to be reduced....when you install regulator or check valve.. you have to provide expanison tank for heater because you now have a closed system....ben yes your prv must have failed...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #3

High inlet pressure

Hey I have not asked because no one was at home..I do know it needs to be reduced and was told it was cause thermal expansion.. that is all I know but do intend on getting it reduced asap ..dthanks
Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #4

High inlet pressure

Hey what is the best way to find the prv .. the stick in the ground seems kinda caveman.. there isn t one visible at the house inlet which is best the hot water heater from what I can tell..any help would be appreciated.. dthe prv at the water heater was replaced and is still displacing water in bucket..so it has to be one elswhere dthat is stuck open..
Old 12-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #5

High inlet pressure

I will post again plumber came to a expansion tank on hot water side of water heater.. is that right?? going to call in the morning but I am wondering if it should go on cold water side of hot water heater.. as far a pressure reducing valve there is not one visible and the builder told me today he can t remember them putting one on..said it would be in wall behind hotwater heater which is just outside patio home in garage.. can anyone enlighten me ..the pressure is down to acceptable range anyway..right now 75 outside spicket.. thanks mary
Old 12-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #6

High inlet pressure

Your exp. tank belongs on the CW line.
How do you go from 140psi to 70 psi? Is your water heater gas or electric/
You may have a faulty heater-- over heating the water will can cause pressure spikes.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #7

High inlet pressure

My heater is a electric 50 bradford white .. and I was just thinking new water heater ..what do u think??? I have called they are to come out and change it to cold.. diffeent directives cause malfunctions..lol.........
Old 12-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #8

High inlet pressure

Update they came out and changed it to cw side.. Its a backstop expansion tank which is set to40 psi at factory he did not change pressure setting.. I am wondering with a inlet pressure outside at 76-78 and the washer is right inside door cw side 62 hw 70 .. ..hot water heater is 76 at rest it does drop when sink running a little now which it wasn t .. before expansion tank./
does he need to come back and put some pressure in tank?? I am also thinking to put a reducing valve .. any ideas would help this senior citzen
they said expansion tank should hold from 1/2 to 2/3 pressure so forty 40 is hedging without a reducing valve..
Old 12-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #9

High inlet pressure

I think the pressure in the expansion tank should be pre-charged to match your incoming water pressure up to a maximum of about 80 psi. The instructions say if you don't, you'll have a reduced lifetime for the expansion tank.

readar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to readar For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-17-2011)